Passed it! (Rainbow experiments)

Started by Mahnmut, October 07, 2010, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

cbest

I didn't know you could make grass on Terragen 2!
Terragen: the universe in 56 kilobytes.

Mahnmut

Yes dandelO , that link is enlightening to, thanks again!
I think the violet cloud layer was for some reason the only that moved with the planet, therefore slightly to low after a littel adjustment.
And totally off after some more.

cbest,
here you go, all the laurels go to dandelO!
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=10783.0

By the way, there haven´t been so many rainbows in TG either, though I have to admit that there where some.

I will go to bed now,
Its three in the morning here.
Good night!

dandelO

QuoteBy the way, there haven´t been so many rainbows in TG either, though I have to admit that there where some.

Ah! But you've made the new drag-and-drop one, that no one ever has! :)

Dune

I've downloaded your tgc, but not dissected yet. Thanks a lot. But, just thinking aloud; wouldn't it be possible to color just one cloud layer by a blue node configuration? On the other hand, that might be just as complicated...

Mahnmut

Dune,
I thought about that to, and I think dandelO at least got close to making a rainbow that way. I bet it is possible.
But I like my variant, I could simply switch of yellow in the outer rainbow or whatever.And it is my own method, the kindergarden-crayon method maybe, but the results are ok imho.
If I can get rid of the banding, what I am trying to do now that the other mysteries are solved, I am fine with it.
Of course one cloud layer would be more elegant, but I don´t know how to do it.

Mahnmut

Make yourself at home with InstaGlow Forcefields to go!

I don´t know, at the moment I got a headful of ideas but not the patience to go into details,
that atmosphere bug that makes my rainbow to go unmovable also took the wind out of my sails.
I just played around wih the "rainbow" a bit and built this scene around it.
I really like the effect, but it is a pain to "work" with as long as the atmosphere doesn´t move with its planet.
Another view

Best Regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

Quote from: TheBlackHole on October 08, 2010, 03:28:30 PM
Forget this post, I'm an idiot for not noticing that.

Now all the new readers will never know why you called yourself an idiot.
It wasn´t that bad!
best regards,
Jan

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Mahnmut

Ignore this sign:
"Blackhole, one strange day you will enter your own event horizon and disappear for the rest of us."
paradox regards,
Jan

Talking about astrophysics, what do you think of my rainbow-spheres?

inkydigit

Quote from: Mahnmut on October 12, 2010, 06:44:50 PM
Ignore this sign:
"Blackhole, one strange day you will enter your own event horizon and disappear for the rest of us."
paradox regards,
Jan

Talking about astrophysics, what do you think of my rainbow-spheres?
:D

choronr

Jan, thank you for the file. The more minds we have working here the greater the possibility of resolving the issues that remain. I'll try working with it and report back if I discover anything new and worthy.

nethskie

amazing InstaGlow Forcefield! that will be useful someday :D

TheBlackHole

I like the force fields. I've made a purple one that surrounds the default planet.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

dandelO

I've spoken with Jan about this a while back, what I have found is that each cloud layer that appears further down the node tree than the FINAL one, that plugs into the planet, will not move with the planet translation. Only the last layer moves.
The only way I have found around it is to first move the planet then, visiting each cloud layer that feeds it, systematically plug each one directly into the planet node. This resets each cloud's coord's to the position of the planet and then you have all of them in the correct location, you can then link them up again in series.
The problem is, if you move it again, still, only the final layer moves with it. You have to re-plug in each cloud layer to the planet to reset their coord's.

This way, it can be moved anywhere but, it takes a lot more time than it should, when you have to manually reset each layer to the planet coordinates. I've not come across a way yet to pull around multiple cloud layers with a single planet handle. One layer can be moved around fine(which is why Jan's bow has the final layer closest to the planet, apparently, off-centre, when actually, it's all the other layers above it in the network that are out of sync). It's a shame it needs all this replugging at each planet translation but, it can be moved anywhere.

I haven't downloaded the clip but a good primary bow can be made from 4 layers; red/yellow/green/blue with blending cloud altitudes creating the colour transitions(e.g. red mixed with yellow creates the orange band so it isn't necessary, etc...). A secondary bow could take this to 8 nodes, instead of the 14, I think was used in this file.

That's if it can indeed only come down to re-plugging each layer to reset its position, the less nodes to plug in each time, the better. It's a great technique but a clumsy transform control. I'll post back if I find a way to move everything at once, although, I think it's not possible just now.