The Dead Marshes

Started by RAF Blackace, October 10, 2010, 07:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

Not bad for a Start!
It may be by chance that some of your trees look in the same direction, but thats only a small point.
I like the fog and the reflection in the calm water.
Are those brownish thinks  there on the ground skulls?
Best regards, Jan

dandelO

They're fly-agaric skulls if they are! :o :P 8)

ra

Wow, very good start! I like the mood you composed here! Well done!
The gulls could be improved, in my opinion they are too tall. In addition the tree models could have more detail. But those are only suggestions - as I already said: great start!
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Dune

A good start indeed, but what I like most about this image is that it resembles a woodcut image, because of the 'flattened' structures by the slightly grainy mist. Well done.

inkydigit

a nice artistic feel here...love the shrooms!

schmeerlap

Great first render; love the marshland misty atmosphere. Makes me want to pen a WW1 poem.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Zairyn Arsyn

it looks good so far, not that bad at all.

what were your render settings? - AA, detail GI, etc, etc.

more detail on the trees would be a good improvement,
IMO i would get rid of dandel0's grass shader and use object populations for the grass.

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

jbest

Looks great. Everything here looks kinda dead, including the birds.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

RAF Blackace

Thanks Chaps.

But one thing puzzles me. How do I get more detail on the trees. I had the render options racked up for the tree populations and they still came out like this.

Every plant I have ever done has looked low quality, and here in this forum I see superb quality. What option do I change to get this elusive "more Detail" ?

PS: Daniel O is my inspiration for using this product, I fell because of this I must use something of his in any file I play with.

Henry Blewer

The simple answer is the radio button which controls the population detail. The default is medium detail. Ultra High is needed for close ups.
The harder answers are the quality of the plants and the atmosphere settings. I render with the atmosphere quality at 64, sometimes 48. Try a different tree model.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

I don't think the button you mention still works to enhance detail. Your plants/objects should be raytraced, and your AA should be high enough.

dandelO

I think losing the grass shader, especially in the foreground, is a good idea. It's fine to save memory in the mid-to-far distance where the detail isn't so important but up close, it isn't pretty. There's some great grass models here, at the NWDA stores and at TG.org, to name a couple. 

Mahnmut

Ahem, skulls, mushrooms, it´s not that much of a difference, is it ;)

When I look at your trees, they look as if they are rendered ok, only the model itself isn´t very detailed.
There is a lot of great free tree models around, if you want them dead just leave the leaves! (make their opacity 0 )
Best regards,
Jan

dandelO

Oh! That's twice in the last week someone has called me 'danielO' in here. Sounds like an Italian yodeller. :D

dandelO or, even better, just 'Martin' will do. ;)

* And please don't feel obligated to have to use any of my files, most of them are just cut-n-shut jobs, held together with tape and Pritt-stick! ;)