Ring World

Started by cyphyr, October 18, 2010, 07:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Quote from: TheBlackHole on October 21, 2010, 12:33:57 PM
Why hide the seams? They look almost like strata to me. Just add some real strata and it might hide the seams better.
"When you break eggs, make omlets!" and/or "When you have lemons, make lemonade :)
In other words use the screw-ups/features/limitations in the software to your advantage.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

I don't have a render, Ulco, I was just testing it out trying to see which way the objects pointed when they are populated on the second planet's ceiling, I tried billboards to begin with, only to find that they still stand vertical in world-space(I already knew this but I was hoping for surprises! ;)), then I tried some TG grass clumps, I might have something in the temp files...

[attachimg=#]

Yes, just the default setup posted on page 1, with no surfaces and only grass on the walls. Horrible! But, something could be done with the idea, I'm sure. You can still see the seams but the objects are quite flat, entirely populating it with spheres(or near-spherical rocks), for instance, would stop the population rotation issue being a problem.
I might play with this again if I have any ideas.

cyphyr

Pretty sure this works, try using a seperate population for the "inner" or "upside down"  surface with the object scaled -1 in the y (or rotate through 180in th z (?) )
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mahnmut

Yes, it works.
Still not perpendicular to the surface, but upside down is no problem.

A propos: Dune, you are standing on the inner side of your torus, so it is not by rotation that you get your gravity ;)

Another thing:
there seem to be two kinds of "seams":
The ones you see clearly in my example render, they are a result of the vertical generated by the radius- displacement and nearly disappear in high quality renders.
If you displace both "planets" by the same fractal but different directions, you get a broader seam or gap, because also the surface that is not displaced by the simple shape shader gets displaced by your powerfractal.
I think, this Problem should dissappear if you blend your displacements by the same simple-shape-shader that makes the torus.

Correction, when you displaca in the same direction (both positive or both negative) you get a ragged seam where the two planets meet.
When you use a positive displacement value on the inverted planet and a negative one on the normal one, you create a spherical cave running around the whole planet (visible as a more or less broad gap.)
The other way round the two planets intersect, leaving less of a seam as if they only met exactly.
this all assuming you use one powerfractal for both planets´displacements.
Best Regards,

Jan

cyphyr

Quote from: MahnmutIf you displace both "planets" by the same fractal but different directions, you get a broader seam or gap, because also the surface that is not displaced by the simple shape shader gets displaced by your powerfractal.
I find that if I displace them in the same direction the fractals seem to blend through from one planet to the next. Because the sercond planet is negitve in the first place its displacements dont need tobe  reversed. I've also offset the "cealing" planet by a few meters in the y axis.

I am finding it very counrter intuative all the way through this project. Everything is reversed, well almost everything, (which makes it worse).

:)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mahnmut

That´s true, it would be much easier with your feet on the inner side of the ring.

cyphyr

More experimenting with field placement and tree populations and lighting ...
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

choronr

This is very exciting Richard ...keep on!

FrankB

Zairyn Arsyn

its the Cyphyr ring world colony, wish it was real, cos i wish i could go there.
Quote from: cyphyr on October 21, 2010, 03:19:16 PM
More experimenting with field placement and tree populations and lighting ...
Richard

Whoa. Awesome. this is getting more exciting... ;)
looks a lot better than the others (for now) :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

cyphyr

Hehe Thanks (watch out for Dunes version though!). I'm stuck on the laptop for a couple of days yet so I expect my progress to be quite slow :(
Its not a competition though and the idea and inspiration are from avkhatri, Goms, Dune, Mahnmut, dandelO and plenty of others.
Depending on how far this continues I would hope to post the final TGD in file shareing.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mahnmut

Dune

Richard (PS: I really like your render) is right about the displacement:
QuoteBecause the sercond planet is negitve in the first place its displacements dont need tobe  reversed.
I also used a redirect in one direction (Z) and that worked the same way, just one Z shader to both planets.

Mahnmut is also right about me standing on the antigravity side of the ring. Let's say I'm inside a black hole  :P I'll turn the whole thing around for my next iteration.

And Martin, I have made some 3D grass a year ago or so. That works on all sides. Real 3D I mean.

here's one I did yesterday. Took ages (well, 4 hours) due to the clouds. It's more like a giant cave, but the mud highlights are not nice, the trees are not nice and the gulls fly in the wrong place.

inkydigit

the concept is very interesting, and the results are fascinating!

Mahnmut

Another wow!
The low flying gulls don´t seem wrong to me, they just make the impression of being very interrested in something in the river.
Also no one said you have to stand on the outer side of the ring. it looks great as it is.
Best regards,
Jan