zebra crossing (WIP)

Started by Kevin F, October 22, 2010, 04:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's a new one I'm working on. It's nearly finished but I'm not completely happy with it.
I've tried to get good muddy water downstream from the zebra by using two merged water shaders into the same lake object, the muddy one being controlled by a painted shader. It needs a bit more work yet.
I'd prefer the scene to have dry land visible on both banks, but getting the scale right to achieve this realistically is proving more difficult than I imagined.
C&C welcome before the final version.

zebra - free from poser
eucalyptus trees - JCinBama
zoulik bushes - amenk2003
thanks to all.

inkydigit

some really good details here!
a couple of things I might change would be reduce the roughness of the water up stream, and what about a couple of crocodiles?looking forward to the next one!
ps I was half expecting the Beatles
:)

domdib

Very nice. Perhaps some slightly more beefy clouds?

Mahnmut

Great idea with the muddy water!

Some turbulence at its edge would be nice.
Best regards, Jan

Eagle98

I love the concept and the image, except for the clouds, maybe. Maybe a bit thicker?
The next statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

jbest

I do agree about the clouds, but I do like the roughness of the river, and the muddiness!
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Dune

About the water: I think it's a bit too turbulent in comparison to the size of the zebra's, but that may well be so in reality, I don't know. I'd prefer it to be a little smoother and some subtle movement. Same for the clouds; I'd make the softer a a bit larger, to get a less distracting sky. As for the mud; why not put a camera at the far side of the line of zebra's, point it to the render camera, make a distance shader, set it to Z distance, use as blender for a surface shader with some mud colors as child, and use the breakup to create some (stretched) soft mud streaks, as much as needed. Feed this surface layer into the water shader. Or, perhaps better, use the camera blender on one PF mudcolor which goes into the color input of a surface layer, and attach the water shader as its child.  Or something like that.... 

I like the wideness of the scene and the banks are great! Look forward to seeing the next iteration.

Eagle98

One thing I just thought up here: Keep the turbulent water. Add some sort of clouds painted along the zebras to make it look like the zebras are really stampeding. Not that I got the grasp on how to used painted shaders just yet, though  ;D
The next statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

Kevin F

Thanks for the comments guys, really helpful.
@Dune - wow so much to do! thanks. I'll give it a go once I'm happy with the merged water method for muddy/clearer water.