planetside chat room?

Started by Goms, November 04, 2010, 03:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goms

something that just came to my mind: what about a chat room for the forum?
we have had good experiences with a chat room on terradreams.de - both as a quick source for help and a great enrichment for the community.

i don't know about what it needs to host a chat room, but it can't be that hard.
what do you think?
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Oshyan

Goms

hm, nevermind!
i must have missed that one. :D
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

FrankB

I still think it would be great to have! Yes! Absolutely!

Gforce

Yea there's something to be said for instant communication. When two people are on the same level quite a lot can be learned. It just doesn't feel the same to post on a forum. besides chats are always fun  ;D
Feel free to visit www.gforce45.deviantart.com

dandelO

Seth used to have one, I think it's been removed from his site now, though. It was good for a while but there weren't many regulars. The forum is a bit busier nowadays though, I think, lots of new faces. Might be worth another go...

Tangled-Universe

Zairyn Arsyn

i remember there was a chat room on NWDA for a short time, never actually got to use it, though
i figured frank took it down at some point or another.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

FrankB

yeah I took it down because it was too tough for people to meet anyone. Only a few people knew of it and were at one point tired of hanging around the chat room as the only person.
The forums here always have around 30 people on concurrently, so there will be much more probability to meet someone.
If a TG chat, then it has to be on this site.

Zairyn Arsyn

yah, i totally understand that, chatting globally can be tough
Quote from: FrankB on November 05, 2010, 08:57:12 AM
yeah I took it down because it was too tough for people to meet anyone.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on November 05, 2010, 08:57:12 AM
yeah I took it down because it was too tough for people to meet anyone. Only a few people knew of it and were at one point tired of hanging around the chat room as the only person.
The forums here always have around 30 people on concurrently, so there will be much more probability to meet someone.
If a TG chat, then it has to be on this site.

If I remember correctly(??) Oshyan wasn't really fond of the idea of having a chat here.
My opinion is that eventually if everybody here wants it that it should be implemented, but then more people should chime in to the discussion and show their support for it.

Seth

I did have a chatroom on my werbsite, but it was almost always empty and people had some problem to get the good time to meet each others ^^
i still think it was a good idea though ^^

Seth

http://www.7thcircle.fr/shoutbox.html
it was a simple shoutbox...
so if some people want to use it again, go ahead, or if you have better chatroom solution, feel free to do so... ^^

dandelO

Oshyan

My perspective on this hasn't really changed. It's clear there is a good deal of interest (though mostly from "the regulars" it seems?), and it's something we will consider for that reason. But a large part of the importance and value of this place is as a learning resource for others, so preserving the discussion and making it easily searchable after the fact is highly important. If there is a "chat" approach that can address that I'd be in favor of it and wouldn't hesitate to implement. But we also don't want to be dealing with 1000's of lines of "idle chatter" to be sifted through for worthwhile info. The problem is that, while chat may be "mostly" non-critical stuff, inevitably there will be useful, important, insightful things discussed there, and if we don't archive it, we lose it, yet if we attempt to archive it all, we'll have too much that is not useful to sift through for the good stuff. How to solve this?

- Oshyan