Cold and Dreary v3

Started by RArcher, November 22, 2010, 07:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walli

thats a real nice variation!
I really like this scene, as everything is so subtle - but it all works perfectly together and as result you get a beautiful render!

old_blaggard

This is some fantastic work, Ryan. I prefer the earlier, bluer one, but the overall detail, terrain structure, and textures are all quite realistic and beautiful.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dune

I more liked the previous version, because now you really see XFrog in the treetops. That's always the trouble; the closer you get the harder it is to get a photographic likeness. Distance is a lot 'easier'. And the trees are very straight, why not give them a slight angle of 1-3 degrees. It'll just break up the regularity perhaps.

Mahnmut

Unnecessary to say that those renders are great, what they are.
But I don´t trust the snow in that last one ;)
Cheers,
Jan

RArcher

That is a great suggestion Dune, now I am kicking myself wondering why I haven't bothered to angle the trees.

On a side note, I tried to post the first one to cgsociety.org but it was rejected as being not good enough, must need more cars or close-up faces I guess, or perhaps I should tag it as Vue.  ;)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: RArcher on November 25, 2010, 09:43:09 AM
That is a great suggestion Dune, now I am kicking myself wondering why I haven't bothered to angle the trees.

On a side note, I tried to post the first one to cgsociety.org but it was rejected as being not good enough, must need more cars or close-up faces I guess, or perhaps I should tag it as Vue.  ;)

Hahaaa....I knew it!
All my submissions recently have been rejected as well.
Apparently you must indeed tag it as Vue. Something very smelly is going on there lately :(
But on the other hand, CGS seems to become a dead place anyway.

I liked the first version a bit better as I think the yellow/orange tints on the snow don't look so well.
I always use size variation on models to be 50% different (min = 0.8 and max = 1.2 for example) and I also use a standard rotation of ~5 degrees.
Looks much better, you'll see!

Cheers,
Martin

Walli

I think there are still a lot of people around that think TG2 is a push button->get nice render thingy. They don´t understand that sometimes days and weeks of work are put into those renders.

freelancah

Maybe they thought it was a photo. :D

RArcher

If only that were the case... I expect this is just a stock reply but: 

QuoteYour submission has been declined for the following reason(s):
* We're very sorry to let you know that this work does not yet meet our standards as a completed piece for the Showcase Gallery. We'd like to encourage you to post your work in the WIP forum to develop it further before submitting it again.

Like I said, I think it needs a bright red Ferarri sticking out of the snow before they will consider it finished  ::)

It is a pretty tough situation though.  If we can't get any renders posted showing what TG2 can do then it is really tough to educate people in the CG industry that it isn't a magic button redering engine.  I can only hope that Matt and the other folks working with TG for blockbuster movies will start putting together and publishing some case studies showing their work and how it was integrated into the movie.

inkydigit

great work Ryan!
cg society-pah!

Seth

I can't believe that this render was declined !!!
What happened back there ? we sent them some renders during the last years and we had good feedback so far...

Dune

Why would you want to post at cg society? Is that beneficial in some way? I never actually look what they do. Maybe I should?

Henry Blewer

They seem to be into pushing software from their sponsors.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Ridiculous that your initial render was declined, unless they really had quibbles with that foreground bit (but I doubt it). ;) It's surprising and dismaying too, since as Seth said, many nice TG2 images were submitted within the past year or two and were approved, receiving very good comments. I do think though that there have been some rather poor TG (and other app) artists submitting work perhaps the past 6 months or so that may have made them less tolerant. Still some bad work from other apps makes it in, inexplicably, so it's really not fair.

We are planning to do some "case studies" and the like, similar to what Frank did in his "procedural detail" article on NWDA (which was very well done). Hopefully as we improve the understanding of how TG2 works, people will come to see how really amazing many of the artists here are.

By the way Walli, speaking of great TG2 work and many weeks of effort, what ever happened to this? http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6413.105

- Oshyan

Seth

Quote from: Dune on November 25, 2010, 01:24:36 PM
Why would you want to post at cg society? Is that beneficial in some way? I never actually look what they do. Maybe I should?

go get a look to this website and the average quality of renders there and you'll understand ;)
it is a "pro" CG website, so you can get some really honest feedbacks, critical comments, etc...