The Watcher

Started by choronr, November 26, 2010, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I was fascinated by the ' stratbyimage' .tgd file by Schmeerlap (John Robertson - thanks John); and created this fantasy scene. These UFOs may exist; but, I've never seen one.

Thanks to Thelby for the UFO file; and, Wallie for the vegetation.

Enjoy...

Bob

inkydigit

I love this Bob!
especially the rock wall detail!
cheers
Jason
:)

FrankB

very cool, I mean VERY cool, Bob!  :)

Tangled-Universe

That looks pretty awesome Bob! ;D
Great work!

Naoo

Hi

Yes, very nice and cool!

ciao
Naoo

choronr

Thank you so much guys, you've made my day.

Seth

great light, very very nice pov (I love the pov), and very good composition ^^

dandelO

Something really bothers me about this one, Bob, although, I can't quite nail it down to one point. I agree it is a nice image but, I think there is a lot of atmo' noise, a great deal of uniformed strata layering and, the plants appear to look like alpha planes to me. Also, the sharp cut off of the mountains(those vertical edge parts) are very extreme to be real to me.
I might just be too picky, everyone else seems to think it perfect. Sorry for speaking my mind but I think you have done very much better, composition wise, before.
After all of that, I really do like this pic', those are just a few things bothering me about it, sorry, I hate to be a rain-cloud, I think it might be that the pov is in the entire shadow of one of the terrain features and that's drawing away from the realism for me, it's a hard balancing act when there is no shadow detail, I don't know. ???

dandelO

Correction; It may not be atmo noise that's bothering me, I think it might just be shadow detail, in general. It's a hard one for me to specify, because there are no real shadows being cast from the main features but, everything is still in shade. A weird one, to be sure.

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on November 26, 2010, 08:18:31 PM
Something really bothers me about this one, Bob, although, I can't quite nail it down to one point. I agree it is a nice image but, I think there is a lot of atmo' noise, a great deal of uniformed strata layering and, the plants appear to look like alpha planes to me. Also, the sharp cut off of the mountains(those vertical edge parts) are very extreme to be real to me.
I might just be too picky, everyone else seems to think it perfect. Sorry for speaking my mind but I think you have done very much better, composition wise, before.
After all of that, I really do like this pic', those are just a few things bothering me about it, sorry, I hate to be a rain-cloud, I think it might be that the pov is in the entire shadow of one of the terrain features and that's drawing away from the realism for me, it's a hard balancing act when there is no shadow detail, I don't know. ???
Excellent critique Martin. I hesitated a few days making some changes before posting; but, still felt there was something wrong here. I realize that maybe I could have made the strata more irregular as I have in the past (thanks to FrankB). And yes, the plants bothered me the most. Perhaps I should have used some back lighting here. I did increase the plants' reflectivity to help a bit - but, the results were minimal.

Never feel that giving me a critique makes you putting a rain cloud over the my work Martin - I am pleased that you have given me some pointers here that will help in the future to avoid such mistakes.  

dandelO

See, I don't even feel you have made any 'mistakes', at all, Bob! Have a look at my images for some mistakes and you will be treated to a banquet! :D
Just something bothers me about the pic', is all. I like the composition, subject matter, geographical reference, in fact, everything about it, really. I just think something is out of kilter, and it is hard to put my finger on exactly what that is.
I'm glad you're not offended, I do seem kind of blaze when, overall, it is a really nice piece.

choronr

I'm beginning to think I should have put a light source opposite the sun set at a low elevation IF there wasn't another high land form behind my back here. In all, it was another learning session that I must keep in mind for the future.

Mahnmut

Hi there,
I just wondered:
If there is something that irritates DandelOs sense of realism, and it isn´t the strata, the atmosphere or any of this,
What else in this image could it be?  ;)

my sense of sci-fi-ism is satisfied at least.

Earnestly, I think the shadow over the complete foreground could add to some irritation, i couldn´t make out the suns direction intuitively.
Maybe it´s the big mothership that throws the Shadow??
By the way, the foreground vegetation looks as if it needn´t be ashamed in the sunlight!
best regards,
Jan

dandelO

Quote from: Mahnmut on November 26, 2010, 09:21:36 PM
Maybe it´s the big mothership that throws the Shadow??

Nailed it, Jan! That's it! :D

Like I said, I'm not quite sure what bothers me here, however, I do like it a lot.

choronr

Thank you friends. I never expected too many visits on this one ...now, I'll sleep well tonight.