(blown) Snow on ice shader

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 02, 2010, 10:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Do you really need a water shader for this? Would a default shader (translucency and stuff) not work as good, and be quicker to render? Just an idea....

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on December 02, 2010, 10:46:08 PM
Looking really nice, aside the exploded geometry. I know what you're doing this for and I think it's a good idea. ;D

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan!
I just rendered "that" whole scene with it and it is pretty awesome :)

Quote from: Dune on December 03, 2010, 03:01:24 AM
Do you really need a water shader for this? Would a default shader (translucency and stuff) not work as good, and be quicker to render? Just an idea....

If I wouldn't need the subtle reflections then I'd definitely used a default shader. Good point you have there.
I might experiment with that anyway, just to see where I can get.

Cheers,
Martin

Hetzen

Looks really good Martin. That water shader is a bastard on rendertime when you blend it.

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

Dune

Default + reflective and RT on might do it nice and quick.

Goms

hm. if you want cracks in the ice, maybe you should try to use something to continue the cracks under the surface of the ice.
like here:
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on December 03, 2010, 09:24:19 AM
Default + reflective and RT on might do it nice and quick.

Correct, but I would still require raytraced reflections to get the trees reflected for example. Basically a default + raytraced reflective = watershader.
This is important for POV's like this, which face towards the horizon.
If the POV faces downwards then reflections are less likely to be so well visible, then default + non-raytraced reflections would be a faster alternative.

Quote from: Goms on December 03, 2010, 12:39:40 PM
hm. if you want cracks in the ice, maybe you should try to use something to continue the cracks under the surface of the ice.
like here:

Ghehe, yeah that would be awesome :) Unfortunately that's not possible since the volumetrics for the water shader is fake.

Goms

Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

choronr

I don't miss the cold of winter; but, I certainly enjoy what you have done here Martin.

Oshyan

The water will also be computing *transparency* unless you've turned that off. My assumption, given the rest test sphere in an earlier image, was that subsurface details were meant to be somewhat visible, otherwise it may indeed be a waste to use a water shader.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Yes that was meant to make it visible. With real ice it would also have been visible, likely.