Atmospheric and optical effects in TG2.

Started by icarus51, December 13, 2010, 06:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njen

I never knew about HaloSim, that program looks great! I am going to check it out, thanks for the tip.

blackcat

Quote from: icarus51 on December 16, 2010, 11:54:21 AM
I know HaloSim but in which way is it possibile to transfer the results in Terragen? And about distorsion of sun and moon near the horizon? There is some way to make these effects with TG2? or with other render programs?
Thanks for your patience. :)

You set the all the HaloSim background colors (sky, horizon, etc.) to black and disable things such as the horizon line. Then, when the program generates the halo you have it on a black ground. Save the image and place it on the TG2 rendering as a layer in Photoshop. (You will probably need to adjust the size so that the angular diameter of the halo is correct for the visual angle of your picture.) Set the layer for Screen, which will make the black transparent. Depending on how many rays you chose for HaloSim to use, you will probably need to blur the layer very slightly in order to blend the points together.

I don't know of any program that will do the kind of flattening of the sun and moon you want. I myself would probably just create and insert them in Photoshop. That would, I think, be the fastest, simplest and most direct method. In several of my extrasolar planet renderings, I replaced the TG2 sun with a sun I created myself (or a moon as the case might be).

Here is an example of where I did that...

blackcat

PS---
The HaloSim people also have a small program for creating coronas (the rainbow-hued glow you will sometimes see surrounding the moon on a frosty night).

warnerbrown

I've used this program for atmospheres, skies and some of the lighting effects you listed over other programs, including Maya (& hdri). It is pretty accurate but like anything takes some experimenting with. it depends what you use it for

icarus51

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I would point out that this issue is not my idea.
In fact in TG2 FAQ page i've read this:

> Will TG2 be able to render atmospheric effects such as rainbows and halos?

This is something we're considering.  ;D

and also

> Will TG2 be able to do lens flares?

Some lens flare effects may be added in the future but we do not consider this to be a priority. Certain bloom and glow effects are useful in anti-aliasing very bright edges in images with a very high dynamic range, so they will likely be included in the first TG2 release.

Greetings.

icarus51

Quote from: blackcat on December 17, 2010, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: icarus51 on December 16, 2010, 11:54:21 AM
I know HaloSim but in which way is it possibile to transfer the results in Terragen? And about distorsion of sun and moon near the horizon? There is some way to make these effects with TG2? or with other render programs?
Thanks for your patience. :)

You set the all the HaloSim background colors (sky, horizon, etc.) to black and disable things such as the horizon line. Then, when the program generates the halo you have it on a black ground. Save the image and place it on the TG2 rendering as a layer in Photoshop. (You will probably need to adjust the size so that the angular diameter of the halo is correct for the visual angle of your picture.) Set the layer for Screen, which will make the black transparent. Depending on how many rays you chose for HaloSim to use, you will probably need to blur the layer very slightly in order to blend the points together.

I don't know of any program that will do the kind of flattening of the sun and moon you want. I myself would probably just create and insert them in Photoshop. That would, I think, be the fastest, simplest and most direct method. In several of my extrasolar planet renderings, I replaced the TG2 sun with a sun I created myself (or a moon as the case might be).

Here is an example of where I did that...

Hi Blackcat,
Excuse me for delay in reply but i've problems (familiar and others) and  i cannot read or write in this forum all the time like i would desire.
Many thanks for your reply, i'll try to manage your way with Halo Sim.  I beg pardon because english is not my mother language and i can write rubbish. :-[

icarus51

Hi,

This is my simple proof about halos using HaloSim with Photoshop and TG2.
Thanks to Blackcat for hints.

Bye