Painted Shader not working

Started by choronr, December 26, 2010, 09:08:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

December 26, 2010, 09:08:21 pm Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:10:20 pm by choronr
After trying several times now after the new update, the Painted shader does not seem to work anymore. Any one else have this experience? I use it as usual; but, all the populations show up. The masking does not work.

Dune

Can you post a tgd? Mine do work as they should.

neuspadrin

Don't forget the flow will determine by how much a population will exist.  The default flow is .25, or 25%, which will still let populations inside of it (just a smaller then usual amount)  Set the flow to 1 for 100%, then paint the areas you do not want your populations.  This should make no populations show up. 

Attached example: left is one stroke at .25, right is one stroke at 1.  Note how .25 has a few stragglers around.

So double check you painted with 1.

choronr

Thank you both Ulco and neuspadrin. I'll experiment with both suggestions. If the flow adjustment does not work, I'll send my .tgd file.

dandelO

I thought I'd noticed a change with this shader the other day when I was trying to paint polar regions on a planet.

Now, it seems, that I have to select the projection type manually to '3D'(if you're painting in the 3D preview), because it defaults to 'plan Y'. Give it a shot, it seems to be working slightly differently than before but you can still select the correct projection type in the second tab yourself.

choronr

Thanks Martin; after trying the suggestion made I still am having a problem with the model population showing up. I'll give yours a try and get back with the results.

choronr

Tried all the suggestions; nothing seems to work. The .tgd will contain errors since I used a WM terrain; and, the plant is not something you might have. Any ideas would be appreciated.

dandelO

I opened it and everything seems to work fine. Painting directly into the 3D preview with your painted shader that is inside 'pop dry grass patch' works OK for me here.
Similarly, painting directly into that painted shaders' own preview window(when opened as a new window) works fine too.
What is actually happening at your end that isn't as expected, Bob? These seem to be masking the objects in the population fine here.

I didn't change anything in the file, except to swap the dry grass object for a TG rock and I enlarged the view-relative brush a little.

neuspadrin

Quote from: choronr on December 27, 2010, 06:58:17 pm
Tried all the suggestions; nothing seems to work. The .tgd will contain errors since I used a WM terrain; and, the plant is not something you might have. Any ideas would be appreciated.


Um... The "use density shader" is unchecked for the dry grass patch population on this download... Have you always been using that way? ;)

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on December 27, 2010, 07:28:25 pm
I opened it and everything seems to work fine. Painting directly into the 3D preview with your painted shader that is inside 'pop dry grass patch' works OK for me here.
Similarly, painting directly into that painted shaders' own preview window(when opened as a new window) works fine too.
What is actually happening at your end that isn't as expected, Bob? These seem to be masking the objects in the population fine here.

I didn't change anything in the file, except to swap the dry grass object for a TG rock and I enlarged the view-relative brush a little.


Thanks Martin for taking the time with this. I''ll be back with an explanation of what I do in the process that 'yields no plant model'.

choronr

Quote from: neuspadrin on December 27, 2010, 07:48:18 pm
Quote from: choronr on December 27, 2010, 06:58:17 pm
Tried all the suggestions; nothing seems to work. The .tgd will contain errors since I used a WM terrain; and, the plant is not something you might have. Any ideas would be appreciated.


Um... The "use density shader" is unchecked for the dry grass patch population on this download... Have you always been using that way? ;)

Thanks nuespadrin; I realize the 'use density shader' is not checked. That happened to be the last save. Interesting to note is that when it is unchecked, the population shows up. As soon as it is checked, the models do not show up.

dandelO

There's no data loaded in the paint shader when loading the file, I mean, it's not been painted yet.
If there's no white paint, and you check blend by...' then it assumes the blending shader is black = 0 objects.
Is that all the problem is? ???

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on December 27, 2010, 08:30:10 pm
There's no data loaded in the paint shader when loading the file, I mean, it's not been painted yet.
If there's no white paint, and you check blend by...' then it assumes the blending shader is black = 0 objects.
Is that all the problem is? ???

I realize what you are saying. I have initially painted the areas where I wanted the population which is mostly to the right and across the bottom of the scene. I have done this seveal times with no populations appearing. As mentioned to nuespadrin, when I uncheck 'use density shader', the plants will appear. As soon as I check it, I do not get any plants at all.

I am probably missing something very basic here - I guess it comes with age (gotta blame it on something).

choronr

The following steps taken to incorporate a population of plants in this image:

•   First, I usually add the population after the preview window is done rendering - and, I pause it.
•   I then copy and paste both 'Area centre' and ' Area rotation' from the camera.
•   I reset 'Object scale' to the desired size.
•   I reset both 'Area length a' and 'Area length b' to 200 each.
•   'Object spacing in a and b' is set at 0.75 each.
•   'Spacing variation in a and b' remain at default which is 1/1.
•   I add the density shader  'Painted shader 01'.
•   I click on the button to enlarge the preview window making it easier to paint where it is needed.
•   I click on the paint brush  and begin painting.
•   I stop the painting; and,
•   Hit the 'Populate button' only to find 'no' plants showing.

I tried the previous suggestions by dandelO and nuespadrin to no avail.

choronr

Well, I guess I got myself into a bad habit, I was first populating without the 'use density shader' checked so as to see where to paint; then, I would use the painted shader after checking 'use density shader'.

I'm thinking it was the mushrooms my wife had been feeding me.

Thank you all; and, I'm truly sorry I put you through this.