Camera Movement

Started by MeltingIce, December 23, 2006, 02:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSquare

Of the two proposals the second would appear to be the most practical. Noice one.

Oshyan

The current camera switching functionality is definitely quite limited and unintuitive. Cameras *must* be attached to a renderer to be used in the 3D preview. To switch to a camera simply open a renderer attached to it then press View Camera twice. We will be greatly improving the 3D preview and multi-camera functionality in the future which features like a drop-down list of cameras, the ability to create a new camera from the 3D preview, etc.

Currently you can actually accomplish population positioning and the like using a single camera fairly easily. What I do for example is have my set camera position, create a population, then navigate to it with the camera *without pressing the Set Camera button*. I can then move the population and, when I'm done, just press "View Camera" and it takes me right back to the original camera position. An easier alternative is simply to use the 3D preview coordinate readout and enter those values into the population position, which doesn't require any camera movement at all.

- Oshyan

JohnP

Hi folk's, I'm still getting my head around this new stuff ( node's and all ). Today I found a quicker way to get around the terrain, with the terrain button active hit 'view heightfield', in the small window above you will see the camera location. Move your curser over the camera until it turns yellow, click once and you should see the red, blue and green cross hair's.
Click on blue to move North and South, click on red for East and West, once in the area you wish click outside the camera to deactivate. You can then use the hot key's and mouse to fine tune your location.
Hope you find this useful.

John.

rcallicotte

Hey, dude, I just noticed the same thing yesterday.  Really helpful to know this.

Quote from: JohnP on January 10, 2007, 01:01:18 AM
Hi folk's, I'm still getting my head around this new stuff ( node's and all ). Today I found a quicker way to get around the terrain, with the terrain button active hit 'view heightfield', in the small window above you will see the camera location. Move your curser over the camera until it turns yellow, click once and you should see the red, blue and green cross hair's.
Click on blue to move North and South, click on red for East and West, once in the area you wish click outside the camera to deactivate. You can then use the hot key's and mouse to fine tune your location.
Hope you find this useful.

John.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

stunnedmullet

Thanks for that. Very useful, although I haven't found a way of undoing a camera move this way. If you explore in the preview window you can get back to the last 'Set' position by doing a 'View Camera'.

I think it would be cool if TG2 could maintain a list of the 'Set' camera positions, say the last 10 or so. I keep finding interesting views in a terrain that I want to keep but can't. A list would allow you to jump between favourites without having to write down coordinates and rotations. Unless you can already do this of course and I don't know how!

Oshyan

You can't currently save camera positions without creating a new camera and transferring coordinates. However we do plan to implement methods to make creation of new cameras easier, particularly from the current position (as opposed to moving your existing camera permanently to that location). A "checkpoint"/bookmark type system may also be possible.

- Oshyan

Ekflagristoj

I'm a new user of TG2, after being a longtime user of the old .9, and so far, I have not been able to get the camera to move at ALL.

The position values are unlabeled, and there's no tooltip. Clicking and dragging does nothing (or so it seems), and the most intuitive method of moving a camera is gone. (That would be left clicking on the terrain overview to position camera, and right clicking for target.)

The tutorials I've been reading all assume you know enough about the camera system to have programmed it yourself, and thus make no mention of it.

I bit of help would be unbelievably appreciated.

FrankThomas

Camera controls - accessed via Help -> mouse and key settings

Will

whats context-click is that the target or is that depth of field?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

FrankThomas

no idea :) I've never tried it to be honest

Will

becuase I would love depth of field!

regards,

Will

FrankThomas

I seem to remember Oshyan saying that would be in a future release.  So far as I know there's no DOF function in T2TP - you can probably do it in postwork with PS or somesuch

Will

yea, I though it was in one shot in the Terragen 2 gallary but that could be post.

Regards,

Will

jo

Hi,

The context click is one is for bringing up a right-click/context/contextual type menu, though it seems like the 3D Preview doesn't have one yet.

Regards,

Jo

Will

oh, that will be cool. Helpful for placing things.

Regards,

Will