Camera Movement

Started by MeltingIce, December 23, 2006, 02:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monks

QuoteAlso I wonder if it could be possable to make a pianting tool that was kinda like the one in .9x but it would allow 3d manipulation it would be helpful for over hangs.

3D painting of overhangs would be cool in ANY terrain app! It's one of those grey areas that 's maybe best left to the terrain app rather than the renderer. I think a few people want to see overhangs in terran apps :) For that to happen with minimal pain we need to see some agreement between the renderers and the terrain app devs.

QuoteI was wondering if there were any plans to change/improve the current system used to move the camera.  I think a lot of users, including me, miss the ease of setting the camera's location like you can in Terragen 0.9.

I totally agree- that's the first thing I missed in TG2.

QuoteWe do have plans to implement a top-down view and we will incorporate as many of the best parts of TG 0.9's functionality

Yipeeeee me too!!  :D

monks

Arkanias4

Hi folks, does anyone know a way of banking / rolling the camera?

Njen

Adjust the z rotation axis in the camera node.

Dark Fire

Quote from: monks on January 16, 2007, 09:55:04 AM
QuoteI was wondering if there were any plans to change/improve the current system used to move the camera.  I think a lot of users, including me, miss the ease of setting the camera's location like you can in Terragen 0.9.

I totally agree- that's the first thing I missed in TG2.

I agree too. Even after getting used to the controls, setting the camera position is still more of a struggle in T2TP than it was in TG 0.9.

Arkanias4

Thanks for the tip njen, I was just dreaming of a shortkey or an arrow solution for banking the cam as in Mojo but your answer is helpful with TG2 as is.  ;D

Njen

I also wish there was an easier way to change the roll angle of the camera in the viewport :)

*hint tint*

Oshyan

Quote from: Ekflagristoj on January 15, 2007, 02:45:10 PM
I'm a new user of TG2, after being a longtime user of the old .9, and so far, I have not been able to get the camera to move at ALL.

The position values are unlabeled, and there's no tooltip. Clicking and dragging does nothing (or so it seems), and the most intuitive method of moving a camera is gone. (That would be left clicking on the terrain overview to position camera, and right clicking for target.)

The tutorials I've been reading all assume you know enough about the camera system to have programmed it yourself, and thus make no mention of it.

I bit of help would be unbelievably appreciated.

I recommend reading the User Guide here on the Planetside Forums. Camera movement is covered early on: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?board=12.0;sort=subject

- Oshyan

Arkanias4

Found an answer to my "intuitive banking the cam" request: just discovered that below the preview there is an "FO" button meaning free orbit that allows with Alt + LMB to move the scene intuitively in every direction then to bank the camera as you feel  ;D Thanks Planetside Team, you did a great job, I only had to look better at the interface  ;)

bobbystahr

Well I must be totally brain dead but I only discovered this today. Double clicking on the top down view of the terrain allows one to resize that lil display window and also, once in that mode one can click on the camera and move it willy-nilly where ever one's lil heart desires. Also one can doom in for finer positioning...TooFrigginCool....dunno why I never found this before and if it was posted anywhere it just went right over my newbie head....LOL...hope this helps someone else as clued out as me in their navigations of TG2TP
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rcallicotte

This is new, Bobby.

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 12, 2007, 01:07:44 PM
Well I must be totally brain dead but I only discovered this today. Double clicking on the top down view of the terrain allows one to resize that lil display window and also, once in that mode one can click on the camera and move it willy-nilly where ever one's lil heart desires. Also one can doom in for finer positioning...TooFrigginCool....dunno why I never found this before and if it was posted anywhere it just went right over my newbie head....LOL...hope this helps someone else as clued out as me in their navigations of TG2TP
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

This functionality has been available since the initial TG2 TP 1.8.64.0 late last year as far as I know. It is a fairly clunky method since you cannot rotate the camera this way, only change position, and the click-and-drag bounding box for the camera (and other objects) is fairly small so it is very hit-and-miss. Not to mention that the small preview window, while resizable, is still fairly small. So for these reasons it has not been a major focus of recommended camera adjustment methods. We do plan to improve the utility of the top-down view however.

Note that you can use the same view movement controls in the top-down view as you can in the main 3D preview - e.g. Alt+Left Mouse Button, etc.

- Oshyan

Quote from: calico on September 12, 2007, 01:19:13 PM
This is new, Bobby.

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 12, 2007, 01:07:44 PM

rcallicotte

Oh.  LOL   ;D  How was I to know?   8)

Quote from: Oshyan on September 12, 2007, 01:55:26 PM
This functionality has been available since the initial TG2 TP 1.8.64.0 late last year as far as I know.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?