Craters (anew)

Started by Dune, January 20, 2011, 05:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Back again in another section then. Without atmosphere they really render fast, so I've got about 7 iterations so far. Must keep myself at a leash here. Here's one with earth (needs more clouds) and an extra 'real' crater (by red shader).

Dune

And another one, with a bigger crater...

dandelO

I love the second one with the bigger crater, looks great.
The speed increase without an atmo is incredible, huh, Ulco? Also, a cheap and cheerful atmosphere is a low cloud layer that'll fill the FOV. Nice hazes can be achieved with the different colour param's of a cloud layer without density fractal and atmo. I've a couple in progress like that with a faked atmo' but I haven't played with TG for a good couple of weeks now, I'll get back to it in due course. :)

goldfarb

really nice...
might be a cool thing to try to reproduce the rays of debris:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2008/image08/081010kuiper.jpg
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Dune

Thanks, guys.
@Goldfarb: Rays of debris would mean making a mask, which is easy enough, at least for the near distance. But procedurally, it would mean some mathematics creating star-like (fading) rays around each crater, which could be blended by a fractal to slightly distort/fractalize. That kind of function work is out of my league, I'm afraid.
The shadows on our moon are really black I've noticed, so I killed the fill light. Although the shadows aren't as nicely lit up anymore. On the other hand, the shadows on photo's(!) are intensely black, but if you would walk around, your eyes may pick up some reflected light. So what would be more real?

@Martin: that's why we don't hear from you a lot... I indeed also found that clouds work nicely without atmo. I always like a bit of blur and vagueness here and there, so I created some 'moondust' near the horizon which is not very real I read in some scientific sites. Real moondust doesn't fly around, but statically clings to everything, especially in cold everdark areas.

Dune

Solved some problems...

Henry Blewer

This is really beginning to take on a Gerry Anderson (UFO, Space 1999) look. 8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

the last one is astonishing!
excellent!

Dune

Thanks, Inky. Here's another one, with a different set of craters. I had serious problems with the earth (who doesn't?); when moving the planet the atmosphere disappears. Inserting a clipfile I made with planetary clouds and atmo, it didn't show. I wanted the earth smaller than in the previous iteration, and moved it backward. Didn't work. So faking it, I made it smaller, but it still did't show my atmo clip.
Making a new planet with atmo works, but as soon as you move it, even after reattaching the atmo node, it stops showing. Irregular behavior. Probably some simple thing I neglected...  Any clues, guys?
Here I just attached a cloud image to its surface.

Dune

There's another interesting phenomena: the shadow of earth into its own atmosphere...

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on January 23, 2011, 03:28:42 AM
... I had serious problems with the earth (who doesn't?); when moving the planet the atmosphere disappears. Inserting a clipfile I made with planetary clouds and atmo, it didn't show. I wanted the earth smaller than in the previous iteration, and moved it backward. Didn't work. So faking it, I made it smaller, but it still did't show my atmo clip.
Making a new planet with atmo works, but as soon as you move it, even after reattaching the atmo node, it stops showing. Irregular behavior. Probably some simple thing I neglected...  Any clues, guys?
Here I just attached a cloud image to its surface.

I have no time right now to look closer to your problem Dune , but it looks like the one i had here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=10667.msg109805#msg109805
There are a workaround too.

Henry Blewer

I have the planet/atmosphere coordinate problem also. You need to select both the planet and its atmosphere in the node network. Then move both of them at the same time. Some kind of parenting/hierarchy would be wonderful for this difficulty.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

@kadri: I had already found your post. Thanks to you too, Henry. I'll dive into it again.