Version 3 Final, was:Unfinished - Meadow with Firs and a "Frank" tree

Started by FrankB, January 29, 2011, 04:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Maybe it is a Canadian forest scene  ;)  We stack rocks like that everywhere: Inukshuk

I like the new lighting a lot Frank and all the little details are really nicely done.  The clumping of the individual bits really makes it stand out.

Walli

Tangled-Universe

Very sweet lighting Frank :)

I am wondering: if you look at the striking light on the grasses to the right and compare that with the striking light on the grasses on the left; there's a clear difference in strength and saturation of the lighting colour. It looks like there's more glow on the right section.
Logically, as in TG2 the glow/glow power settings enable you to control the falloff of the atmospheric glow.
So my question is: is this difference I observe due to these glow settings or something else? In my opinion the lighting strength and colour saturation should be the same, hence the scale of the scene (it's not continental scale we're looking at).

My guess is that you can influence this with the atmosphere node, but can't get it as I think it should be. The problem is similar to getting highlights in snow or water to be present throughout a whole image, instead of only near the sun.

I think this is quite an issue with TG2, that you can't control this completely (at all). See this blenderguru tutorial which shows how you can "force" highlights" throughout a scene:
http://www.blenderguru.com/let-it-snow/ This is what TG2 needs IMO.

Cheers,
Martin

choronr

Spot on Frank; nothing beats a low sun lighting on vegetation. Your lighting and point of view here is striking.

FrankB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 03, 2011, 08:15:33 AM
Very sweet lighting Frank :)

I am wondering: if you look at the striking light on the grasses to the right and compare that with the striking light on the grasses on the left; there's a clear difference in strength and saturation of the lighting colour. It looks like there's more glow on the right section.

Thanks Martin, glad you like it too!

The differences is lighting and on these parts of the image are solely due to that the left side is in partial (soft) shadow, and the right part isn't.

@Walli, Bob: thank you as well :)

Regards,
Frank

mesocyclone

Great scene Frank... I really really want to know what settings you've used in the grass clumps to get that nice look  ::)

FrankB

Quote from: mesocyclone on February 06, 2011, 11:46:43 AM
Great scene Frank... I really really want to know what settings you've used in the grass clumps to get that nice look  ::)

Happy to pass that on. I'll isolate it, wrap it up and put it on the Community Store.
It's been a very useful technique for me for more than one image now.
I've made it a longer while ago, so I don't remember the exact details, but it did involve completely changing the default grass clump object settings. I always thought the grass clumps looked more like develish horns coming out the ground, than looking like grass blades. If I recall correctly I have greatly reduced the xz dimensions of the clump, and streched the y instead, then adjusted the number of blades per clump. That was the main trick.
Secondly the color variations were something I had to discover for myself, and that's a useful technique on its own.
But you can see yourself once i've got it uploaded on the Community Store.

Regards,
Frank

FrankB

I've uploaded it to the Community Store: http://store.nwdanet.com/terragen2store/13-objects/16-grass/85-frankb-better-grass.html

Please leave a rating or review.

DON'T FORGET TO READ THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION ON THAT PAGE. IT HAS IMPORTANT HINTS ;-)

Have fun
Frank

choronr

Thank you Frank for this valuable information. I've never was satisfied with the 'built-in grass clumps'; however, this will extend my list of grass variables; especially for those distant views.

Regarding your latest image, I noted you have used the 'Hero Rock' both in the foreground; and, in the distance where it appears you have stacked the rocks to appear like a cairn. Is that what you did?

Bob

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on February 06, 2011, 02:27:02 PM
Regarding your latest image, I noted you have used the 'Hero Rock' both in the foreground; and, in the distance where it appears you have stacked the rocks to appear like a cairn. Is that what you did?

Yes Bob, that's correct.

mesocyclone