New Errors on large file sizes.

Started by Upon Infinity, February 11, 2011, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Well, I was running on 1 GB of RAM and I had no problems in those days (two weeks ago), and my system limit is only 4 :(.  I guess I'll have to read up on the 3GB switch... 

The render size is exactly the same as when I had rendered it before (as in technology preview before), it renders great at smaller sizes as well.  Also, of note, is I had the 'Override automatic number of cores detection' in the preferences checked and had been setting it down to 1, then for this render switched it back to 2 but left the box checked, possibly confusing the memory even more, if it is in fact a memory issue.

As with yesterday, I'll try what I've got, results tomorrow.

Oshyan

Since you were rendering previously with the Tech Preview, it's quite possible some changes to the renderer since then have resulted in somewhat higher memory requirements. There have been a *lot* of changes since that original public version...

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Okay, what are the official system requirements now?  I've been rendering more or less with all the updates, and I've been good with the last version up to at least 1500 or 1800 across.

Oshyan

The minimum requirements have not changed as far as I'm aware, and we can't specify any particular requirements for rendering at a given size or scene complexity because there are too many variables. It's probably best just to focus on fixing the problem rendering with the latest version. The /3GB switch might be a good place to start, but you should also verify that it renders ok at lower resolution (if you have not already done so).

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Ok, render is trotting along using between 150000 and 250000 K of memory.  Render subdiv cache is 200, max bucket size is 128, render settings the same and I unclicked the automatic override number of cores.  Also, I did not mess with the process priority since the restart.  Let's see where this takes us.

jo

Hi,

Just to be sure, are you using version 2.2.22.1?

Regards,

Jo

Kadri

Quote from: jo on February 13, 2011, 03:38:10 AM
Hi,
Just to be sure, are you using version 2.2.22.1?
Regards,
Jo

Jo , just curious ,mine says 2.2.23.1 (Free v.) at startup ?

jo

Hi Kadri,
Quote from: Kadri on February 13, 2011, 06:23:06 AM
Jo , just curious ,mine says 2.2.23.1 (Free v.) at startup ?
You're right. I was looking at the change log to see what the version of the last public release was and it doesn't seem to have the right version number. v2.2.23.1 is the one to have.

Regards,

Jo

Upon Infinity

Yes, I am using 2.2.23.1.  And we have have some new results.  Looks very similar to the old results.  Only this time, with more errors.  It was completely error free when I had started it.  When I got up this morning it had a few errors, but it was continuing to render the scene normally.  Getting back from work today, and I get a 'finished render' that looks much like this.  Frustrating to be sure.  Seems the errors build up as the render progresses.  Maybe memory, maybe I need a new machine.  I'll read up on the 3gb switch, and try that.  I can buy another gig of Ram if I have to (if anyone thinks that'll make a difference), I'd really rather not go out and buy a whole new system quite yet.

choronr

Perhaps posting your .tgd file for the Planetside staff to see and try would jelp you.

Oshyan

I would suspect it is memory-related. If you can setup system resource monitoring to record the memory use while it renders that would help. The /3GB switch would most likely help if memory is indeed the culprit. You can also try reducing Subdivision Cache size to the minimum 50MB/thread.

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Quote from: choronr on February 14, 2011, 12:13:57 AM
Perhaps posting your .tgd file for the Planetside staff to see and try would jelp you.

If they really want to pull the file apart because they think it is program related (instead of system related), I'd be happy to email them the .tdg.  Due to the nature of my work, I can't post it here for public consumption.

Oshyan

For now I don't think we need the file. I don't even have a machine that would likely reproduce the specific problem. But do run some additional tests and let us know how that goes.

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Hey,

I don't have Win XP Pro, just the Media Center Edition (Service Pack 3).  Does this mean I can't use the /3gb switch?  I've just been doing some reading up on it, and it sounds like it isn't compatable with all machines.  Has anyone else used it with the same windows version?