New Errors on large file sizes.

Started by Upon Infinity, February 11, 2011, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Hey,

I'm getting a whole new set of errors on images I have previously rendered in the past without problems on large render sizes.  Render size was 3300 x 2475.  The render was fine until about half way through and then stopped.  Any ideas.

choronr

Try reducing the cache size from the 400 default to 200.

Upon Infinity

Will do.  Results tomorrow.  But why all of a sudden would that NOT render properly?

Cyber-Angel

I've had these kinds of errors my self, you could also try reducing the Bucket size and see if that helps?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Kadri

Quote from: UponInfinity on February 11, 2011, 11:52:28 PM
...But why all of a sudden would that NOT render properly?

I don't know if there is another explanation (maybe version differences and so)  , but the other programs in windows that you use at render time do use RAM too obviously .
So it could be that the free memory circumstances are not the same .
Try to shut down programs that you not need at render time to free up more memory , UponInfinity ( no pun intended :)).

Upon Infinity

Ok, here's the results.  Not at all encouraging.  Render failed at the same place, and have these weird splotchy rectangles.  Please note, that this scene was originally created with the Technology Preview, so I'm wondering if the new update is not backwards compatible with these scenes, yet why start the render and not finish?  I rendered this same scene about a week and half ago (but not quite as large) with no problems.  It can't be the RAM, I just did an upgrade and there's always plenty left to go around.  This is the first time I've ever had these kind of problems.

Upon Infinity

Also, will reducing the bucket size affect image quality?  The box for allowing auto-reduction is ticked, but I guess that's the next try.  Also, if not the defaults, what values are ideal?

choronr

What are your quality settings, including clouds and atmo? Is water in the scene?

Upon Infinity

Quality is default

0.5 detail, 3 AA,
No water
1 cirrus 2D layer of clouds
1 cumulous 3D 0.422171 quality , 69 samples
and 1 more cumulous 'fog' layer 0.501113 quality, 7 samples.

Oshyan

Are you using any new rendering options since your last successful render, e.g. Raytrace Atmosphere? Or have you changed any rendering settings, like render buffer size, number of threads, etc?

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

No, nothing fancy like that.  I have added a bit to the scene, however.  The 'fog' layer of clouds, couple objects.  Changed a texture on some rocks to 'power fractal shader'.  Again, nothing too crazy.

Oshyan

What are your specific render settings and system details? Were you monitoring Task Manager at the time and if so, how much memory was TG using?

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Specific render setting above - mostly default.

System details:

2.8 Ghz dual core machine.
3 gb RAM
WinXP

I did have a litte trick I was using where I would put the tgd.exe process into low priority mode, so I could work on other things while renders went through, however for the past render I had switched it back up to normal, although not restarted the PC or program.  Today I have restarted the PC and I will attempt the suggestions for settings above tonight, unless I can get something better.  Failing that, I'm looking at switching off everything I've added until I can track down the problem.

Upon Infinity

Oh, and no I wasn't monitoring.  I'll watch for that tonight too.

Oshyan

Very strange. I forgot you had posted the detail settings, and they're very reasonable, should not be causing any problems even at that resolution. 3GB of RAM is a bit low and XP means you only get 2GB of RAM for TG2 unless you are using the /3GB switch. A reboot might indeed help. Is your current render size the same or smaller than previous renders, or is it even slightly larger?

- Oshyan