Terrain Export

Started by rcallicotte, February 25, 2011, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Yes, I know.  I should know better.  But, please be patient and kind enough to consider something I haven't found anything about - export to Modo.

I see two different Lightwave alternatives - one that allows an LWO and one that creates an LWS.  First, I have no way I know about to use an LWS, but the LWOs are produced in multiple files.

Does anyone have a more creative find to export as an object to use in Luxology's Modo?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Hetzen

rcallicotte

Not that I can see.  I know it can import LWO, which I can create.  But, I don't like dealing with the multiple LWOs created by using the export function in TG2.  I can also create an LWS, but I have yet to figure out how I can handle an LWS without owning Lightwave. 

My hope is we could simply have an object export.  But, maybe that's easier believed than implemented.

Kadri

Calico i didn't tried (i will tonight) MessiahStudio5 (you bought it too i think?).
If i remember right , you can load LWS files and can export objects to different file formats.

But more object export formats wouldn't really hurt  :)

rcallicotte

Will Messiah Studio let us import LWS files?  Oooh.  I hope so.

Quote from: Kadri on February 25, 2011, 04:16:05 PM

Calico i didn't tried (i will tonight) MessiahStudio5 (you bought it too i think?).
If i remember right , you can load LWS files and can export objects to different file formats.

But more object export formats wouldn't really hurt  :)

dandelO

I'm having real trouble with importing many objects into my new Messiah. Many files don't import at all, I get errors importing some .obj and .lwo files("unidentified filetype, load aborted, click OK"), for many of my models, other models(of the same filetype) work fine. ???
Maybe I just need a lot more time with MS to work out its own little idiosyncrasies. Unfortunately, I'm a bit busy just now to invest too much time in learning this program from scratch, I'll come back to it later. Can't grumble at the cost at all. Not sure I'm ever actually going to use it for anything though. :D

Surely, exporting a .lwo from TG into Poseray(free) and out again as .obj should work ok?

Kadri

I have an other kind of problem, DandelO  :)

I installed the 64 bit  v. of Messiah in Windows Home Premium 64 bit with no problem .
Tried to output one generic default scene with the "Heightfield export LWO" node.
It created 1 LWS and 16 LWO files. But as soon as i tried to load the LWS file to Messiah it crashed :(
I am not sure where the problem is.
Tried some random settings for less LWO file outputs but a LWS file that points to only 1 LWO did crashed Messiah.
Manually editing the LWS file didn't changed this too.

But  i could import the above LWO object(s) without error messages to Messiah.
The LWS file was problematic in my test here.

It is my first use of Messiah. So i can not say anything concrete about this behavior or how to resolve unfortunately.

Edit: "Surely, exporting a .lwo from TG into Poseray(free) and out again as .obj should work ok?"
         :)

rcallicotte

Okay, I tried it just now.  Some stuff works, but the TG2 LWS files I have don't.  I have used LWO files before, but some I have don't work.  Some Wavefront objects work; some do not.  All of my Modo files open.  I remember there is something about how things are opened and, in particular, problems with stuff that isn't quads.  I don't remember everything.  We can check at SetupTab to find out more info.