Data Input in TG2

Started by jaf, March 01, 2011, 10:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

This subject has been mentioned quite a bit in the past, but I thought a separate thread might be a good idea.

First, I'll start with how I think the program processes input data.  I may be completely wrong -- I'm just guessing by observation.

It seems that either keyboard or slider inputs are processed almost immediately.  The input is "pushed" through the scene calculation to update the preview or simply to prepare the scene for a render.  I imagine a slider input is sampled in a time slice and that value is "pushed" through the scene calculation.

The problem is, especially when using a slider input, you can enter a value that causes a crash (real small inputs can cause this) even though your intent was not to enter that "real small number", but you went a little too far to the left with the slider.

Many times, I want to input several numbers, like X/Y/Z values.  I don't need the x value going through a new scene calculation until all three values are entered -- nothing is gained by this. Try entering new data for the "Make River" function.

Of course the preview can be stopped, which helps, but I wonder if a "stop recalc" button would be practical?  Maybe make slider entries effective only after the slider has been stationary for a period of time (1 or 2 seconds)?

I suspect there are times when an input will cause a crash but in conjunction with a second input, a crash won't occur.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this makes sense at all, but I do see this happening frequently in other node-based applications (like World Machine.)

Any thoughts on this?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

goldfarb

that Terragen wants to act on changes in the interface right away is very annoying....
I think that for numerical inputs NOTHING should happen until the user hits the enter key or the focus leaves that parameter (except for parameters where it makes sense to have interactive feedback, like colors etc)
as for sliders (again except for those parameters that require feedback) NOTHING should happen until the mouseUp event

the addition of support for obj sequences shows this quite clearly
lets say you pick a single file of a seq of files, so you path might be:
/mnt/drive/place/terragen/projects/foo/geo/myOBJ_001.obj
but to get the sequence to work you need to change "001" to "%03d" or whatever...
ever time you change a single character Terragen tries to update - so lots of errors...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

freelancah

Yeah I agree this is an annoying feature. Pretty much the only time I manage to crash the program is in these cases. Sometimes when I duplicate or copy paste nodes this also happen and I believe its the same reason

Oshyan

This stuff is being worked on. Fixes should be available in a future update.

- Oshyan