procedural railroad

Started by Dune, March 05, 2011, 12:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

No, they're not masks, but simple shapes. Could also be done by blue nodes, but I find the simple shapes easier. The only problem of the rails is that you need a good deal of detail (this was 0.6) or they go wobbly.

otakar

Quote from: Dune on March 14, 2011, 03:57:47 AM
And another one. I don't know if this cute little machine ought to go the other way, but then it's going back. No post. And no compute terrain either, come to think of it, wasn't necessary here.
Only the road needed a few more seeds, because there's a parking lot, which I don't like.

Oh my god! Is that a Glaskasten loco? Looks wonderful, the rails, by the way. Can't believe it's procedural.

choronr

Very impressive Ulco. It is inspirational viewing the work that you do.

Dune

It is a Glaskasten loco (I had another google, very interesting what you find). I added some 'attachment stuff' to the sleepers, but the masks don't quite match yet. I also started to sow some grass into the desert, but I have a long way to go.
What we really need in this whole (rail)road business is a 'restricted averaging shader'. The methods we have come up with level the terrain over a great distance (within a masked area), but we need points taken and averaged over a chosen radius (be it color or displacement). Perhaps this is something for a feature request, as roads will be a nice extra feature if it can be implemented a little easier.
The problem is easily recognized in the distance where the track goes underground (no, this is not a metro line), although I can filter that out of course, but it's extra work and a computing burden.

Dune

Slightly better version.

Dune

And one with procedural road and bushes growing where they are not allowed to.

inkydigit

very nice updates...the road seems a bit too 'crisp', as does the truck, still this is great work Ulco!

FrankB

masks can be evil ;)

These renders have a lot of potential if you keep at it. There's a lot about them that already looks photo realistic. The actual models are probably most problematic.
Are you trying to develop this to perfection or are the landscapes placeholer for now until you're done with perfecting the railroads?

Regards,
Frank

bla bla 2

Pouvez-vous faire un tutorial ?

Can you do a tutorial ?

Dune

Actually they all start out as a test, built up from scratch every time (good to get the hang of it). So I click some seeds for a decent landscape, but that's not perfect indeed. I tried to make a crossing (rail crossing road), but couldn't figure it out yet. In a reasonably flat landscape it is not hard, but try making a road or railway in a mountainous area... we really need a 'local leveler'.
Tutorial; make a long (north-south) simple shape and warp (warp shader, redirect (X) shader and displacement shader) this by a power fractal or perlin 3D (for smoother effect). To view, hook into blend input of surface layer. Your line should be snaking north south. There are threads around where this is described. This is the base actually, because the other lines (wider and softer for the verge, narrow for the lines) are also north south simple shapes, with their own warp shader, but warped by the same redirect shader.
With some merge shaders you can make combinations after the warping and use them as masks for vegetation and rocks, etc.
The sleepers (and the attachment stuff) are a very simple painted masks (greyscale tiff into image map shader) set to repeat Y, and also warped by the same warper.
To flatten the area of the rail/road you can also use a wide (soft) simple shape (warped) and use this as a (blend) mask for the terrain; two copies of the same terrain, but one smoothed out (smallest detail larger, stretched perlin in one direction). You'll get a long way now, I'd say.

Redwolf

all we need now is Thomas The Tank and friends.....
Not been following this post, but thought from the start that these rails are a model....i almost mentioned well done on the curved rail, i find it very hard to get a smooth curve, if i could achieve that I could model a full rail yard

Dune

Next... completely different setup.

Gannaingh

I didn't really think it was possible, but I like this new setup even more than the others! brilliant work!

FrankB

I know it's not meant to be the central point of interest, but the black smoke against the bright sky is awesome!

Henry Blewer

I like this one also. Looks like a siding for a large mine.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T