Lightwave files, exporting/importing questions (Updated w/ major comp issue)

Started by mrwho, March 27, 2007, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwho

I've got a bunch of really good lwo files. When I try to export them as obj files, there's no mtl file, and nothing shows up in TG2. I've got 15 days on a 3ds max 9 trial, and I can't import lwo files (tried Blender a swell) what should I use to import lwo files, or when am I not doing right when I export them in lightwave 9? (free trial)

rcallicotte

I would try PoseRay.  It is very good and I have had less trouble with MTL with this than anything I've tried. 

Quote from: mrwho on March 27, 2007, 02:07:17 PM
I've got a bunch of really good lwo files. When I try to export them as obj files, there's no mtl file, and nothing shows up in TG2. I've got 15 days on a 3ds max 9 trial, and I can't import lwo files (tried Blender a swell) what should I use to import lwo files, or when am I not doing right when I export them in lightwave 9? (free trial)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mrwho

mrwho

it works. Can't wait for more shaders to use in TG2, the first model had 200 :P

EDIT
hmm.... Poseray is telling me that one of the models has no faces or vertices. The warnings say "POV-Ray executable not set in POV-Ray render options tab
Geometry extents too large. POV-Ray may not render it properly" Anything I can do, or am I just out of luck?

mrwho

ok, when I opened the file again, it showed up, but then my computer went crazy. the screen went black for a couple of seconds, then returned to normal, but it wouldn't respond to any buttons or mouse clicks. I could move the mouse around, that waas it. then it went black again, it was filled with a somewhat smooth black-to-red gradient from left to right, then got blocky. Then a message popped up, saying my video driver (something like that) had failed, and I should save my work and reboot. I clicked ok, and noticed that my resolution had changed from 1440x900 to 640x480, and the colors were like 8 bit, except worse (I think it was worse) I closed TG2 and PoseRay, then I got the blue screen of death. It said that the file nv4_dll (or something like that, can't exactly remember) had failed, and I had to turn off my computer/reboot. After turning it off, and turning it back on and sending an error report, I tried the file again. Same thing happened, except for the gradient and colors/resolution going crazy. Now is it the lwo file itself, or is Poseray messing up my computer?

dhavalmistry

nv4_dll is  the driver file for Nvidia video cards....this has happened to me before but not while using terragen but at other times....anyway this could happen for number of reasons:

Overheating of you video card
Not enough air circulation in your tower
dust in your video card slot/fan (if you have a fan on your video card)

reboot will work just fine....I would also recommend checking temperature of your video card and CPU/BIOS and see if anything is overheating...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

I would think PoseRay wouldn't do anything to hurt your computer.  As for this "error" message, if you don't have PovRay installed, you get that message.  It's okay, though, unless you want to render with it in PovRay.  Don't worry about that.

This other problem could be (as has already been mentioned by DH) a video card problem.  Check driver versions, age of the video card, power supply voltage (do you have 350V or above, if you have a newer card?), check overall heat, remove dust accumulation (blow it out with a can of air somewhere outside), and lastly make sure your CPU isn't overheating.

Quote from: mrwho on March 27, 2007, 02:15:30 PM
it works. Can't wait for more shaders to use in TG2, the first model had 200 :P

EDIT
hmm.... Poseray is telling me that one of the models has no faces or vertices. The warnings say "POV-Ray executable not set in POV-Ray render options tab
Geometry extents too large. POV-Ray may not render it properly" Anything I can do, or am I just out of luck?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?