water and foam

Started by child@play, March 28, 2007, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

child@play

hey, so here's the latest render, not really pleased with it (as usual), and i need some ideas what to do...

o_b mentioned that the terrain needs to be more integrated with the water, maybe i give higher waves a try, because, another point, i dislike the waves at the bottom.

comments/ideas very welcome :)
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Oshyan

You need a smaller "smallest scale" to get more detail in the foreground water. The odd fractaline shapes are due to too few octaves in the noise function. I would definitely try somewhat larger waves too. The foam is looking pretty good, but even still could be slightly rougher.

- Oshyan

child@play

thx oshyan, tried that allready, but then i get too much (imo) foam right at the bottom. maybe i can correct that with coverage, i'll give it a try :)

somehow, after reloading the tgd, the distance shader seems to have lost it's effect on the foam, infact i can't reproduce the exact result i posted, i'm not aware of having changed anything  ???

edit: no need to reproduce the result anymore, i'm getting closer to what i'm looking for

BIG thanks oshyan, sometimes one needs to run into problems to brainstorm again :)

perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

child@play

allright, here's the final render, the lines are back, but i don't want to work that out atm.

enjoy, tgd attached aswell, note that you need to generate the terrain

rcallicotte

Whoa.  That is too cool.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Moose

Nice looking foam! :)

Quote from: child@play on March 29, 2007, 09:41:04 AM
the lines are back, but i don't want to work that out atm.

The lines issue seems similar to what Jason describes as 'corn rows' in his post from a similar thread concerning Houdini's renderer Mantra - http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=3583&hl=ocean . Don't know if it's the same problem, and if so, whether it's something that can be worked around using his suggestions or something the devs would have to look in to further.

:)

child@play

thx for the link, it really looks like some grid-problem. oshyan mentioned that there has been a similar problem with tg0.9, so it might be that they'll have a look sometime.

for now i'm working on some other scenes, maybe i'll come back to that later  :)

Oshyan

The final result is *excellent*! Great work and thank you for sharing the file as well. :)

- Oshyan

child@play

;D cool, thx for the compliments  :)

bigben

The foam looks really good. Thanks for sharing.  With a bit of masking, this should help with water near shorelines as well which will be a big help.