Terragen classic idea

Started by Lalla, April 08, 2011, 05:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalla

I've an idea for terragen classic.

Why not pu tg classic all free, deleting 513*513 terrain limit?

Tg classic is more easy to use as tg2, but terrain limit is very bad... :)

Lalla

Oshyan

Terragen Classic continues to be used by many for commercial purposes. We've always offered a free version to support our large hobby user base, but we need reasonable limitations so that commercial licensing is encouraged for those who have such needs.

- Oshyan

Lalla

Maybe you can bring 513*513 to, for ex., 1025*1025...great for an "hobby" use...
I think this size is wonderful for testing, then, people who need a larger size, purchasing full version.
Lalla

Oshyan

What kind of issues are you running into with the terrain size limit? It's really only a limit on relative terrain detail since the terrain can still cover any area (in meters).

- Oshyan

Lalla

For details. I experiencing that details on 513*513 have a low realistic looking than a bigger terrain.
This is my opinion.

Lalla

Oshyan

Yes, certainly higher resolution terrains can produce more detail, but having done some tests on exactly this issue, I found that good texturing could make up for most terrain resolution issues. Unfortunately my example images aren't online anymore, but I suggest you experiment with texturing and different camera positioning. You may be surprised how well the results can turn out.

- Oshyan

DannyG

This has been asked several times, but can't help for throwing this out there, now that TG 2.3 is 64 bit and for the most part finalized from what I read, what the chances of filling in some of the gaps in Classic, I am new at TG2 and love learning it but I think I speak for alot of people when I say TG 9 is a hard app to put down, just fun to use. Any plans, this has been a myth for years
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

I'm afraid we don't have any current plans to continue TG 0.9 development. Hopefully we can move TG2 toward the kind of more fun, casual use that TG 0.9 offered, while maintaining the power it already has.

- Oshyan

DannyG

TG2 moving forward is a great marketing endeavour to take Vue out of the game, which its IMHO already been done by many examples by many experienced users. Not complaining about Classic, as mention above its a great app and I love tinkering and with it. Keep up the great work @ Planetside. Maybe be an Old Timers Day Challenge from the Legends would be a cool idea,  ;D Would like to see the entries.

Cheers Planetside
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Henry Blewer

I've used Terragen 0.9x to make some heightfields for Terragen 2. Terragen 0.9x has some very nice generating features.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T