GolfBringer

Started by fleetwood, March 23, 2011, 02:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Golf is far too difficult and sophisticated a game ( knocking an object into a hole with a stick) to have been
developed by man alone. It certainly must have been brought to Earth by Ancient Aliens.

Interior Golf ball object modeled in XenoDreams. Rest of saucer is stretched 3000 face rock objects.
I  can't ever get the Reflective shader to implement any proper transparency at all. The water
shader is used on the saucer dome. I  used an IOR of 1.3 which works fine, but setting the IOR down to 1.0
gives the dreaded Black Speck effect, of which I include a small example. For the record, I run Terragen 2.2.23.1 under
Windows 7 64 bit with 8 gig memory.

I'd like to populate the far mountain side with some ground cover but
I had to split the image in two as it is, as I keep
going over 3.5 gig of memory with the existing plant populations. 

Grasses by Klas and BigBen
Small Pines by Walli
Bushes by Mr Lampost
Coulter Pine - Xfrog

jbest

Image looks great until my eyes steer to the right of the image. I'm not sure what the gray mountain is supposed to be. It looks like the trees are pretty sparely populated there and it doesn't seem to match the rest of the picture. Also the scaling is tough to calculate. I'm not sure how big or small everything in the image is. Looks nice, though.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

fleetwood

Quote from: jbest on March 25, 2011, 10:17:20 PM
Image looks great until my eyes steer to the right of the image. I'm not sure what the gray mountain is supposed to be. It looks like the trees are pretty sparely populated there and it doesn't seem to match the rest of the picture. Also the scaling is tough to calculate. I'm not sure how big or small everything in the image is. Looks nice, though.

I plan to rework the mountain when I figure out how to populate it efficiently and add some sort of
objects that will provide scaling queues. Possibly lower the saucer so it reflects on the water surface.
In its current position, it raises doubts that it might possibly be quite small and near the camera.
Maybe someone in a canoe just threw a cookie jar lid up in the air.

I still wish I had a "clear" understanding of transparency  :D

Probably have to do series of experiments with different IOR values.

fleetwood

A new version with some additional surface layers, water turbulence and a new flyer made in Xenodream.
I found that setting favor depressions and smoothing on in a surface layer caused the grass populations to be suppressed or lowered in areas where that surface color appears, so I set it to favor depressions without smoothing.

inkydigit

great update...the clouds are great as are the rest of the details