Waves

Started by dandelO, April 13, 2011, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

To hack away at if anyone can tidy it up and make it look more natural and generally nicer...

The two temporary groups are just placeholders for blending and colouring at this wip point of view.
It isn't using any functions although it would probably be easier to replace the simple shapes by a line function or two. I've just use simple shape shaders because I can easily size them to see the wave profile where they are cut off.

* I think if this method was to be used in a scene with terrain I could blend it to the coast with a bit of fiddling with the normally invisible colour noise of the terrain shader and a distance restriction(maybe). But that's a session for another day, I'm done with fiddling for now...

It's basic looking and messy for now, I usually like to hide some nodes and shrink the network a bit but I haven't here, everything is visible in the water group.

Cheers! :)

dandelO

In fact, the above .tgd profile looks more like this image now...

[attachimg=#]

There's a little Y displacement in the 'redirect shift 2' shader, that isn't there in the first post image.
Not a big difference but it's there.

Dune

If you use the get altitude+sinus, displace this, then subtract this displacement from terrain, then height restriction by distribution shader, you'll get quite a good surf.

dandelO

I played around with this a bit, got a couple of nice little curlers almost going.
I'm going to try a different method after this, these waves are all but crashing on top of each other as they are now. They're too close and they should also get wider and smoother into the distance, instead of being identically sized with just less displacement into the distance...

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

New idea coming...

Dune

I like new ideas! I also tried a distance shader, and was hoping some sinus function would break up the 'constant' gradient into ever bigger patches, which could be used as a blender for displacement and colors. I also hoped to make a procedural staircase out of this, but haven't got very far yet. Looking forward to your next idea...

Hetzen

Clever stuff Martin. Getting breaker peaks to distort forwards is a tough cookie to crack. Getting them to curl is almost impossible.

Just an algorithmic point. Peak to frequency is usualy about 1 to 7 with waves.

Dune

QuotePeak to frequency is usually about 1 to 7 with waves
That's important for animation more than for stills, I'd expect, because mostly there aren't as many waves really visible coming up to shore. But it's interesting as it is, and an observation I also made in real life.

airflamesred

Nice work DandelO

Kadri

Nice waves , DandelO !
Thanks for the file and i wonder how far you can bring this :)

cyphyr

I'm havin fun with this one, Thanks D'O
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)