can it be done?

Started by TheBadger, April 14, 2011, 02:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello

Take a look at this image. How would one go about creating the little spires over the large flat area.
Iv tried all the basics, but its clear this requires some advanced know how.

Any ideas?
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Well I'd use a Paint shader to identify the area I wanted the spires and play around with a Power Fractal shader assigned to the paint shader area till I got what looked good to me.. ...or a shear shader..there are lots of options once you identify where you want the 'action' to happen in the scene
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

so you are saying that I can create areas with a Paint shader that will allow a Power Fractal shader underneath to be visible?

How is this done? And what is a  shear shader?

Thanks for the help
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

The paint shader is accessible from above the 3D preview, the paint brush. It's best to let the preview render till it says finished and than click Pause at the top before you start Paint shader work. Go to Start painting shader and click create new paint shader, then name it, inspect the setting and I always set the brush flow to 1. Use view relative brush. select the area you want to place whatever, texture, displacement etc. and paint awy.
Close paint shader from the same button and go to Shaders Tab. Create a surface layer and at the bottom in the Blend Shader Assign your Paint shader to that Surface layer with the plus sign beside the dialogue.
Then in the Surface Layer go to the Displacement Tab and with the plus sign again Create new shader>Displacement Shader>Power Fractal Shader and you're set to tweak.You control the Displacement from the slider in the Displacement Tab which only slides to 10 but you can type in any higher value...100 to start for what you're after.
When you've got what you want you can texture it from the colour tab of the same Surface Shader
The screen grabs are named but not necessarily in order
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Henry Blewer

I would use heightfields. Use a powerfractal in the blend by shader to control the terrain's 'mountain' size. Then adjust the hieghtfield's spike limit higher.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Or add a ridged perlin (displaced of course), blended by a PF with high contrast (1-2), and slide the color down until you got the spires you want.
Something like this:

TheBadger

Thank You very much. Ill try everything discussed here.

Looks Like Im entering the next level!
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hey Dune.

Thank you for that file. I almost didn't see you posted it. Ill study it tonight and try to figure out how to do exactly what I want based on your file and what "bobbystahr" wrote.

Thanks alot.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

OK, looks like I need a tutorial to follow in order to do this. Im sure its pretty easy, but without being able to see everything as its done...

Thanks anyway
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Keep on pluggin away mate...sometimes, nay, often it's the only way it sinks in...repetition
is what I generally require...figure it out and then do it 10 or 20 times
...but I play guitar and that's how y learn guitar.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New