Need Some Assitence with Firefox Version 4.0 (Urgent)

Started by Cyber-Angel, April 16, 2011, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

Hi,

I opened firefox this morning and some thing is not right, as you can see form the attached screen shoot the title bar and the close /minimize/ maximize buttons have been duplicated and I can not understand why.

I have trued a fresh install (Running CCleaner first after un-installing the installation I had) but got the same result, I ran an anti virus cheek but didn't have any problems there.

I tried Firefox in safe mode and disabled all addons and brought them back up one at a time to see if there was any thing amiss, but there wasn't.

So I figured I'd try using a system restore point (For Yesterday) to see if that would help but it didn't.

My Operating System is Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3    

There are a few more things Firefox is not loading my homepage on start up even through it is set to display homepage on start up under the general tab in options under startup and the back and forward buttons do not work now.   

Any Ideas on how to get rid of the duplicates would appreciated.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel    

Henry Blewer

Try disabling the Google Toolbar. I use Firefox also. It may be that Google uses a window to display address info. This is a guess. But at least it's a place to start. :-\
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Henry Blewer

I just had another thought. Did you download Firefox from Google? Yahoo offers and optimized version for Yahoo users. It may be that Google has added a feature.

Cyber-Angel

Hi,

I downloaded Firefox from FileHippo.com the one I removed this morning was downloaded via the Firefox Updater form what ever 3.1x release was out before Firefox 4.0 (Not Beta or Release Candidate). I have tried as suggested disabling the Google Tool-bar that did not solve the problem! I am at a lose as to what is going on the second "X" button [The one next to the menu Button] is none functional but the maximize minimize buttons are.

Talking of the Google Tool-Bar I cannot access the tool-bar options now and it dose not show up in the Add/remove programs list under the control panel in windows

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel      

Henry Blewer

I downloaded my Firefox from Mozilla.org. Honestly I am completely baffled. I tried to duplicate the condition on my browser, but could not.

Kadri

Cyber-Angel you said you ran an anti virus cheek . Did you checked for spyware , malware etc. too?
I use 1 anti virus , 2-3 (not at the same time) spyware programs and one firewall.
These kind of programs are some times commented very differently , but with cautious surfing and so i didn't had much trouble so far .
If you didn't tried , use "Superantispyware" ,"Spyware search and destroy"  or any other programs in this kind .
Be careful ! Some look like removers but are spyware itself.

I didn't had such an issue as you had. I don't know if this is any help to you!

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: Kadri on April 16, 2011, 11:19:58 PM

Cyber-Angel you said you ran an anti virus cheek . Did you checked for spyware , malware etc. too?
I use 1 anti virus , 2-3 (not at the same time) spyware programs and one firewall.
These kind of programs are some times commented very differently , but with cautious surfing and so i didn't had much trouble so far .
If you didn't tried , use "Superantispyware" ,"Spyware search and destroy"  or any other programs in this kind .
Be careful ! Some look like removers but are spyware itself.

I didn't had such an issue as you had. I don't know if this is any help to you!

Hi Kadri,

Yes I ran an anti-malware cheek using both Spybot S&D and Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool  both negative I cannot understand what is going on I have joined the official Mozillia forums now and posted there maybe someone there can be of assistance, will let you know how things go. 

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Dune

Just dump it and try Opera, really good! I never use all sorts of 'free' add-ons and toolbars. Keep it simple is my advice.

penang

Quote from: Dune on April 17, 2011, 03:09:23 AMJust dump it and try Opera, really good! I never use all sorts of 'free' add-ons and toolbars. Keep it simple is my advice.

I have Chrome, FF, Opera and IE installed on my machine.

If one is not compatible with a site, I simply fire up another browser to get to the site and see if it works or not.

I understand that it's kinda cumbersome, but then, the Net as it is now is very very messed up. Some sites only work with one particular browser and if I need to access the site, I will have to fire up that browser and get the job done.

That's all.

And for that double toolbar thingy, I am using FF 4 also, no such double toolbar.

sjefen

Quote from: Dune on April 17, 2011, 03:09:23 AM
Just dump it and try Opera, really good! I never use all sorts of 'free' add-ons and toolbars. Keep it simple is my advice.

I'm with this. I always use Opera. Even on my mobile  ;)

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Cyber-Angel

Hi guys,

A quick update, it seems according to feedback I received over on the Mozilla Forums that there was a conflict between the version of Noscript I was using and the Yahoo Toolbar, the suggested fix was to install the current development build of Noscript: I have done this and it has as far as I can tell worked but I will be keeping a eye open for the next day or two to see if there are any unforeseen problems!

Google Chrome is form what I can tell is a vary nice browser [I have it on my system now] and shall evaluate it!

Regards to you (With Thanks)

Cyber-Angel       

Henry Blewer

Rhalph

Cool :D

By the way, Opera sucks. I've been trying to use it for years and could never like it. Too much compatibility issues with some sites. If it was a browser that good, its market share would have increased over 2% in 15 years.