Exporting to .obj

Started by Hannes, April 21, 2011, 04:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Hi,
thanks a lot for the update. Fantastic!!
But how can i export as .obj? When I exported with the LWO micro exporter I had to add the .lwo ending to the geometry in previous versions. What do i have to do to export directly to an .obj-file?

Oshyan

Create a new Micro Exporter (as opposed to the old LWO micro exporter), then specify the file name and add OBJ to the end. You can also use LWO or TGO.

- Oshyan

Hannes

MrHooper

Just downloaded the 64 bit version.  Thanks for adding the obj export!  I'm trying to do this now, but am I missing something?  Created the new micro exporter, but it has no inputs, and no export button.

Andrew

MrHooper

OK, I found that I was doing it wrong;)  I got the exporter working, but the obj it spits out has verts unwelded, so I have a ton of unwelded tris.

Draigr

If that's an actual bug, until it gets fixed, use a weld function with a very low setting if they're close together.

Alternatively, use blender which does that fine and easily.

MrHooper

Yeah, been merging for an hour;)  Merging several mill tris is not a maya-friendly operation.  Would hope I could get merged verts from the export, but that may be a limitation.

Thanks,

Andrew

goldfarb

OOOOOFFFF!

no wonder!...

I tried this a while ago and got a 2+GB obj out of Terragen...no way my little macbook was ever going to load it - so I brought in to work and tried there - could barely load and tumble around in Houdini....I didn't even think to turn on point numbers - which would have told me right away that the polys are unique...

this is a bug - or at least something that should be documented asap...

if you use Houdini Apprentice you can use a 'fuse' SOP and it will fuse the points in a few seconds...

--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Oshyan

Remember that turning down Detail on the render node will reduce geometric detail and thus file size. Also restricting by distance, if applicable.

- Oshyan

goldfarb

yep - tune the detail and the distance...distance is REALLY important - because the exporter will generate geometry even if it's not visible in the viewport - which is the whole point of the new exporter :)

--

airflamesred

Just a question on this feature.
So I export my terrain and maybe want to put a flat area somewhere to build a micro brewery or John Barry statue, for example. Then I import it back in. Does this then give me the same texturing options as before the export?

Matt

Quote from: goldfarb on April 23, 2011, 12:09:37 AM
which would have told me right away that the polys are unique...

this is a bug - or at least something that should be documented asap...

if you use Houdini Apprentice you can use a 'fuse' SOP and it will fuse the points in a few seconds...

The renderer can only provide disjointed polygons to the exporter, so that's what is exported. I plan to add a fuse/meld/merge (whatever you want to call it) step in the exporter in future.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

goldfarb

Quote from: Matt on April 24, 2011, 12:03:18 AM
The renderer can only provide disjointed polygons to the exporter, so that's what is exported. I plan to add a fuse/meld/merge (whatever you want to call it) step in the exporter in future.

cool...

the micro exporter supports the crop regions...very nice
it would also be helpful to be able to run it without having to render an image

--

joerombie22

Hey guys I'm New to TERRAGEN,Can someone please tell me how to export terrain to .obj So I can import it into 3ds max, I saw the previous post about the micro converter however there are no inputs for the node and I don't know how to resolve this issue,I looked at the video however the explanation only facilitated LWO files can someone please help.Much thanks and respect peace. :)

goldfarb

Renderers > YourRenderer > Sequence Output > toggle micro exporter on > add a micro exporter > go to micro exporter > set near and far, set file name and extention
--