Hang time - 2.3 + render error update

Started by dandelO, April 21, 2011, 02:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

It says in the changelog to report anything strange with the new progress dialog changes.

I tried this on purpose as it was a little buggy with the old progress bar but it worked after a few seconds. Create a population of rocks, smooth normals, 2000 faces(to create a population of spheres). The single rock loads fine with the progress timer showing for a second or two.
When I hit populate TG has an infinite hang and whites-out asking to be terminated. Before, the progress bar would repeatedly reload about 5-10 times in quick succession and then the object would be ready.

That's all.

In other news, ray detail multiplier, unique variations and .obj export, those are great! :)

Zairyn Arsyn

i had the same problem.
it seems its just better to caculate the pops when you render, does'nt seem to have any problems
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

Hmm. Zaii999, did you have problems with other populations, or just rocks?

- Oshyan

dandelO

I tried to calculate the population at render time, the same results with a rock object.

Zairyn Arsyn

yeah Oshyan, it seems to do it with all object populations

UPDATE: it appears to be working properly sometimes, and if it does'nt when i press populate it will update after i move around in the 3d preview.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W

dandelO

To save starting a whole new thread to go with the many different 2.3 threads being posted I'll just add this to the one I started and edit the subject.

Default terrain+RTE=Weird flattened areas.
[attachimg=#]

Noticed this briefly last night when I was playing with something else and thought I'd have a better look at it today to see if it was an actual error or just something I did wrong. I can't fix it.
Interestingly, the planet doesn't render this error with RTE when I've been doing the 'rescaled noise' renders, the only difference in the surfaces seems to be a default power fractal, instead of just 1m(max) displacements from the function nodes, which render perfectly.

Henry Blewer

I have noticed the populater window does not show up for small pops. I have also noticed that 1,000,000 plus pops calculate much faster.
I thought it was just my computer.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Zairyn Arsyn

i've noticed that too, some of my pops would take like 5min+ to finish calculating.
Quote from: njeneb on April 22, 2011, 01:18:59 PM
I have also noticed that 1,000,000 plus pops calculate much faster.
I thought it was just my computer.
and last night, maybe it was just me, but i was changing the lead-in scale on a population density shader and i swear i saw some of the Bounding boxes update themselves.

crazy.

dandelO

Regarding the white shapes in the update post.

All my GI pre-passes also feature these arc shapes now. It only appears in a render if RTE is used.

dandelO

Screenshot of a holy pre pass, GI=2/3.
I can see right through nearly every GI pass I'm doing to the atmosphere behind, it can't be calculating surface lighting accurately like this, can it?

Matt

This isn't normal, of course. We'll need to know what's different (from the default) in your project to figure out what's causing it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AndyWelder

QuoteI have noticed the populater window does not show up for small pops. I have also noticed that 1,000,000 plus pops calculate much faster.
Quoteit appears to be working properly sometimes, and if it does'nt when i press populate it will update after i move around in the 3d preview.

I can confirm that.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

dandelO

Quote from: Matt on April 23, 2011, 11:49:43 PM
This isn't normal, of course. We'll need to know what's different (from the default) in your project to figure out what's causing it.

Quite a lot different actually. I have my own default file, I'm going through it bit by bit just now. This doesn't happen with your factory settings default file, only mine and only since updating, it was never like this in 2.2.

If I can't pinpoint it I'll post a .tgd later on. Cheers.

dandelO

I've stripped down my default project to the very minimum nodes where the problem can still be seen, there's usually loads of nodes in there so I've deleted them one by one. Attached it here.

[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]

Other things I've tried; I've been through nearly all(if not all) of the settings, I've replaced all these nodes one by one with newly created ones (and with copy/paste from the program's default.xml file). Still got the problem whenever I insert and replace nodes to the .tgd.

Weird, looks like I'll just have to create a new default project from scratch, unless anyone can see where I've went wrong here.

* Completely unrelated. I noticed some intriguing lines in .tgd parameters when I was going through them in notepad. I must see if they can be made use of(I won't ask for help if I break those). ;)

dandelO