V2.3 Problem/oddity? + a double install question

Started by j meyer, April 22, 2011, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

One of the first things i tried with v2.3 was to render a file i had previously
done with v2.2.I saved it just an hour or so before i installed v2.3.
Rendered with v2.2 it looks like that
[attachimg=#]
and in v2.3 like this
[attachimg=#]
First i thought maybe a broken connection between nodes,but no.
I then tried some other files of that series saved shortly before and those rendered
correct.Tried to rebuild the nodes of the file in question,but no success again.
Don't know what's going on there.

Oshyan

Can you post the file in question? No way to diagnose this without it.

- Oshyan

j meyer

Sure.

Oshyan

This appears to be a 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue in 2.3. It works fine in 64 bit but not 32 bit. I'm not sure why but it's definitely a bug. I've added it to our issue tracker and it should be addressed in a future update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

- Oshyan

j meyer

OK,thanks for the quick reply.

j meyer

On one hand i would like to test and work with the new version and on
the other hand i'd like to be able to continue working on things like the
above file for instance.I used to have more than one version installed,
but that seems to be no option any more since 2.2231iirc.
Is there any officially supported way to have 2 versions installed simultaneously
and not being forced to install back and forth continuously?
If so,please let me know how.

Oshyan

Install the oldest version, *copy* (don't move) the files out of its install folder to a new folder and make a shortcut to the program exe. Uninstall the old version then install the new one and make a shortcut to it if necessary. You should now be able to run both. Essentially TG2 has very few dependencies, most of its needed files are in its own install folder (few registry entries, etc.). So you can usually just copy the application's files and run straight from the .exe to have multiple versions installed.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Before installing a new version I copy the folder to another drive which has folder named "TG2-versions" where I store all the releases.
I never un-install, as the newer versions overwrites the current one. Now by default double-clicking on a .tgd file in my browser opens the .tgd file in the latest version of TG2.
Clicking on the exe file in my "TG2-versions" folder is sufficient to start up an older version.

j meyer

Thanks guys,i'll give it a try and report back.

j meyer

That did it.Using the method suggested by Oshyan i've got both versions working now.
Makes things much easier,so thanks again. ;D