where has the little preview window gone?

Started by mhaze, April 23, 2011, 12:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

From the change log:
QuoteThe shader/heightfield preview located to the right of the node list is no longer opened or changed when a node's parameter view is opened in a floating window. The idea is that this shader/heighfield preview corresponds to the last shader or heightfield that was opened in the panel below the node list.

We're open to feedback on this change.

- Oshyan

dandelO

Yes, read the change logs! :D

I always have different shader windows open depending what I'm working on but it was nice to have one window open for the last shader in a chain and have the small preview of each other shader I clicked appear in the main program window for quick editing purposes. I never use the header buttons or node lists so I miss the wee auto-preview, too. :(

mhaze

I have read the change log but have to admit I misunderstood this bit and it's consequences. Can we have the old preview back please.
It is so useful for editing changes to powerfractals and voroni/perlin nodes. OR can we have a keep window open button on the node preview window.
Mick

Dune

It's late and I have to reread this, but I missed the preview window as well. I used it all the time to check patterns of PF's. Very important!

mogn

Quote from: mhaze on April 23, 2011, 02:06:42 PM
Precisely one gets a preview window that won't stay open when you edit the node - extremely anoying!

I think it stayes open, but is hidden by the currently focused window.

mhaze

Alternately when one clicks on the PF/noise/HF whatever node a preview window should open inside the parameter box so one can see the effects of our changes. Hope that makes sense

Mick

Henry Blewer

I move the field of view around to see what is happening. It does not take too long to get to 20 detail. That is normally enough to see the changes.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

mhaze

This is what I propose...

bla bla 2

AndyWelder

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

RedSquare

Although I am soooooo out of touch, that seems to be a great idea.  I'd vote yes on it.

reck

Oshyan

mhaze, while that could be nice for the Power Fractal specifically, I don't think it is generally a good solution. That would mean we'd have to have a uniquely placed shader preview area in each shader node's settings. UI design best practices would suggest finding a more general solution, which the previous behavior did have. It was thought that it might be better to reserve that shader preview for shaders selected in the Node List, but that seems to be less intuitive and useful than the previous behavior judging by the comments here. We'll work out a better approach for the next update.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

- Oshyan