black image or black squares with v2.3/64bit

Started by drongo, April 27, 2011, 11:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drongo

Hi,

I have a scene with Tiff-Image-elevation-model. With the new version I get very often a black image as result. I start rendering, the dots appear (blue for the horizon and darker for the terrain), but with the more detailed run the image disappears. I have the same effect in the render preview - but only while "True Lighting" is active. I use the default lighting and atmosphere.
Sometimes the rendering works well, when the border blending is set to zero. Then there is another effect: while anti-aliasing is applied, the image gets black squares at the terrain-border (and some within the area) > third image.
At some positions, I even get a black image with border blending set to zero... no idea...
The new statistics of the Heightfield shows me a range of 3.4e+032 Mm which is new as well. Does v2.3 interpret Tiff-Elevation-Data somehow different?

Greetings,
Drongo

RArcher

I can't speak to most of the issues you are having since I haven't encountered those graphical issues before, but for the Height range issue it looks to me like there is likely a hole/spot in your dataset somewhere that is missing the correct elevation data.  If you use a program like GlobalMapper or other GIS package you can usually find an option somewhere that will allow you to ignore values outside of a specific range of elevations.  This helps with any areas of null values in the elevation table.  From the landscape image you've posted it looks like the height range should be no more than 100-200 meters or so which is usually reported correctly in the height range fields.

Oshyan

Can you share some examples of these problematic files? We can arrange a way to transfer large files if needed (you can email up to 20MB to support AT planetside DOT co DOT uk).

Regarding the 3rd image, what Antialiasing filter are you using and do you have Bloom enabled?

- Oshyan

drongo

Okay, the problem comes from the elevation data. When i add it to a new scene, i got the same error. It seems like terragen is having problems closing the gap between the elevation data and the surrounding planet. There is a gap around the elevation data. If I higher the blending value, the gap becomes bigger.
ArcMap as well as GlobalMapper are telling me the correct elevation values: 147m up to 639m. It is a floating point 32Bit Image in WGS84, exported from ArcMap. In the previous version of Terragen 2 it also appears to be that very large, but the rendering works well.
I uploaded the elevation data and two terragen files (wollseifen14 is my scene, wollseifen15 only with the elevation data): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26832161/Wollseifen.rar (144MB).

Greetings,
Drongo

RArcher

Certainly a problem with the heightfield, you can tell right away when loading it in.  A couple of solutions come to mind.  Re-Export the elevation data out of GlobalMapper, but crop it a few pixels inside the current boundary.  This should eliminate any edge issues.  Or you can add a Heightfield Adjust Vertical node and set the min and max heights which seems to work fine as well.  See attached image.

drongo

Strange, this elevation data is already a cut from a bigger one... but cutting it again did help in this case...
Setting the hight value does not help. Because the terrain becomes extremly flat.
Somehow there has been some bad pixels at the boarder...

Thanks for the help!
Drongo