Drop Color

Started by buzzzzz, February 15, 2007, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzzzz

Update: You can add 16 colors to the custom colors which should be plenty for Nature Landscape coloring.
Then if you want a child layer of the same color range only lighter or Darker then all you have to do is choose your starting color from the custom colors. Then use the Color Slider in the surface settings dialog to Lighten or Darken. So I guess   that's not so bad now that I took time to work with it. Only thing is I haven't rebooted to go back and see if my chosen custom colors are still there. Will report back later on that. Rather Colorful Subject, Eh?  ;)

jo

Hi,

You can drag and drop colours from colour button to colour button. Someone mentioned doing a sand and wet sand variation. Let's say you create a surface layer for each. Set the colour for the dry sand one. Now double click the node for the other layer in the network view, which will open a floating window for that layer. Click and hold the mouse on the colour button for the first layer ( Colour tab, button in the Apply colour row ) and then start dragging. You should see a little colour chip. Drag that chip over to the colour button on the floating window and drop it. The colour for that layer will be changed to the one you dragged and dropped. Click it to open the colour picker and change it to a suitable colour for wet sand.

If the colour button you want to drop onto is on a different tab than the one currently in the front then you can drag over the tab labels and the tabs should switch, so you can get to the one you want.

As to custom colours on Windows, I'm not sure what's up there, I'll have to check it out.

Regards,

Jo

Volker Harun

Hello Jo!
I might want to give you a hug (or two?)!  ;D :D :D ;)

Volker Harun

buzzzzz

No Kiss but a Big Thanks Jo!

Will

Jo, long time no see! Thanks for the info, keep up the good work buddy!

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

The Custom Colors will populate sequentially on each press of the "Add to Custom Colors" button. It adds the color you currently have selected. If you want to save a color to a specific place in the custom colors you need to select the slot *before* defining the color by clicking on it, then adjust color and press "Add to custom colors". It will replace the color in the last-selected custom color box. I agree this is not entirely convenient, but given the sequential custom color functionality it seems workable. This is really just the standard Windows color picker I believe.

As far as saving the colors between reboots, well you had asked for simply something that duplicates the old TG color pickup/drop functionality, not something more advanced. The custom colors are not saved between sessions but then neither were the pickup/drop colors as far as I recall. Saving across sessions may be something we can setup, I'm not sure, but if so I'm sure we'll do that.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

Oshyan is right that the standard OS colour picker is used. It just so happens that the Windows one is a bit sucky and the Mac one is really good. It has a colour wheel, greyscale/RGB/CMYK/HSB sliders, searchable swatches with named items, something which lets select colour from an image you load and a cool crayon box ( well, I like it anyway ). It has an eye dropper type tool which lets you pick a colour from anywhere on the screen. It also has a whole lot of custom colour slots which are system wide, available to all applications.

Anyway, I've checked it out and I should be able to make custom colours persist across TG2 sessions on Windows without too much trouble. One thing I've always wanted to do, in fact I've wanted to do it since TG v0.9, is make a palette and swatches arrangement where you can define swatches which you can save and share with others, if you so desire. For example, you might have a really good selection of earth tones, or colours of the lesser spotted alpine bluegrass across seasons or whatever. Something for the future.

Regards,

Jo

rcallicotte

;D

Quote from: jo on February 19, 2007, 07:15:40 AM
...One thing I've always wanted to do, in fact I've wanted to do it since TG v0.9, is make a palette and swatches arrangement where you can define swatches which you can save and share with others, if you so desire. For example, you might have a really good selection of earth tones, or colours of the lesser spotted alpine bluegrass across seasons or whatever. Something for the future.

Regards,

Jo
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Acauly I'm dootling in PS right now and it occured to me how helpful that would be I would really love to see this Jo.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

buzzzzz

Now You're Cooking!!!    :o

Harvey Birdman

It's simple as pie to store the custom colors as DWORDS in the windows registry between sessions (as I'm sure you know) - I do it in several of my apps. It would be a nice enhancement to persist them; importing/exporting the custom palette would be sweet, too.

Cyber-Angel

You know the colour picker I really like is the one in Photoshop which has a nice large colour selection area to it and it is easy to find the exact colour required, I would really like the colour selection area of TG2's colour picker to made as large as the one in Photoshop vary important when selection the exact shade of grey you require.

One small feature request that slider on the right of the colour selector at the moment dose not automatically move when you import RGB colour values and so the colour you get is not correct, could you please change this in the windows version.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

RealUser

Jo, this sounds pretty useful. How about creating color ranges like in StrataGen2?
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

bigben

Quote from: jo on February 19, 2007, 07:15:40 AM
Anyway, I've checked it out and I should be able to make custom colours persist across TG2 sessions on Windows without too much trouble.

This has been done. If you look in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Planetside Software\Terragen 2 you'll now find a file called customPickerColours.dat You can transfer this to another PC if you want the same custom colours on each machine.