almost done, just a little more help

Started by TheBadger, May 19, 2011, 12:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello again, another noob question.

I know from searching the threads that I can add a painted shader to a distance shader. But I have not been able to find a step by step on how to add the one to the other.

To be clear, can someone please talk me through adding a paint shader to an already existing distance shader.I am trying to fine tune a cloud layer. And yes I am newly and painfully aware of of the paint shader bug. But thankfully have found a work around on this forum.

Thanks so much for the help.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

It depends  on how you want to use the painted shader and how you've set up the distance shader.

If you blend out clouds in the distance (white near camera, black far away), but want to make an "exception" by using a painted shader then you'll need to add the painted shader colour to the distance shader.
Create function -> add -> add colour and connect the distance shader and painted shader to it. The output of the add node is now the two masks combined.

If you blend in clouds in the distance (black near camera, white far away), but want to mask out certain parts with your painted shader then you can either subtract or multiply masks.
Use subtract if you paint unwanted parts in white. Create function -> subtract -> subtract colour and connect the distance shader and painted shader to it.

Sometimes it works a bit better to multiply masks. It's the same as above but then you define the unwanted parts in black in the painted shader.
However, you can still paint the unwanted parts in white. After you did, connect the painted shader as blendshader input of a distributionshader V4.
Activate blendshader and invert it.
Then create function -> multiply -> multiply colour and connect the two nodes again.

That's basically how I do these things.

There's also the merge shader (create other shader -> merge shader) which can do all of above functions.

TheBadger

Oh man, My head is spinning a little bit now!

Ok, so Im going to start fresh in the morn and try to work through the steps you gave me. Looks complicated to me right now, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.  first I think I should try to play with far/near color more, or the last and simpler method you gave.

Thank you
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

I can imagine your feelings.

Maybe, if it helps, I can simplify:

Black = colour value @ 0
White = colour value @ 1
Black = I don't want that
White = I want that

Multiply colour does:
Black x White = Black -> 0 x 1 = 0
White x Black = Black -> 1 x 0 = 0
White x White = White -> 1 x 1 = 1
Black x Black = Black -> 0 x 0 = 0

Now addition of colour using add colour is self-explanatory.