Loch Series

Started by Inscrutable, April 03, 2007, 11:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inscrutable

Well, I've finally built up the confidence to post an image or two (or 7 at http://www.meltingice.net/usergallery/viewalbum.php?albumid=16 !) as I'm quite happy with these pictures in the style of a Scottish Loch.

I know that they're a little grainy in the top left, but I actually like the effect as I think it makes it look a little more "filmy".

I know they're not perfect by any means, but they're the images that I'm most happy with so far.

Inscrutable

One more pic (sorry for breaking the 512k maximum rule), just a greyscaled version of the second picture above, which I think really accentuates the grainy photo look and makes for a moody scene. 

Again, I know it's not perfect, constructive comments most welcome!

Inscrutable

Njen

These images certainly do have an element of lonely mystery to it!

The only suggestion I have comes from the lack of indirect light in your scene, especially with the island of trees in the foreground. I understand that they would be dark, but in my opinion they are too dark, and would actually be catching reflected light off the water. I would try and increase the amount of environment light overall and see what happens. You are missing out on a whole lot of rich detail in your dark areas :)

old_blaggard

I agree with njen; a little more lighting would help.  Not too much, though; I love the mood you evoke in these pictures.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I like the way your imitation is coming close to pictures I've seen.  A little more lighting would help.  Maybe use some source lights...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sjefen

I like it.
Maby it is a little dark, but I think it is cool.
The water looks really nice on the second picture ;)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Inscrutable

Thanks for the comments on the pictures, I really appreciate the feedback.

I've been experimenting with putting an extra light source near the surface of the water and just behind the camera.  By varying the strength of light and running a series of low grade tests (320 x 240, 0.5 detail) I've been able to find a level I like.  It's a bit of a balancing act trying to get the right results - too light and the trees look too illuminated and unnatural, too dark and it's back to square one.

Problem is, after finding the right balance I've tried rendering at my usual settings (1024 x 768, 0.9 detail) four times and each time have had the dreaded Red GI bug.  I'm not really willing to get rid of GI altogether as I've finally found a lighting balance that I'm happy with, so I'll keep trying with my current settings and hopefully at some point it will be a success.  Alternatively I'll wait until the red bug is fixed in a future update.

Once again, thanks for the comments.

Inscrutable

MF_Erwan

A beautiful place, but that's right, the image is too dark. I also think you should also increase the atmosphere Quality.
And there is something missing...where is Nessie? ??? ;D :D

Erwan