Canyon

Started by Viktim, July 11, 2011, 03:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viktim

Terrain from "seamless" (grand canyon)

Clouds from user "Njeneb"

Draigr

Well, the Grand Canyon is certainly one of the more familiar sites around here. You've done a decent job rendering it, but you should definitely keep playing round with camera angles, haze settings, and lighting. It looks good, but lacks any particularly standout qualities, if you know what I mean.

A little bit more work. Try upping the colour contrast, and putting a lot more colour variation into it. Rock is never one colour, it's dozens of different shades all jumbled together. We don't notice all the time because our brain just takes the general pattern and marks it 'light brown'. But if you actually look closer, you'll be able to count at least six very different colours straight off the bat.

Good luck.

Viktim

Quote from: Draigr on July 11, 2011, 05:00:45 PM
Well, the Grand Canyon is certainly one of the more familiar sites around here. You've done a decent job rendering it, but you should definitely keep playing round with camera angles, haze settings, and lighting. It looks good, but lacks any particularly standout qualities, if you know what I mean.

A little bit more work. Try upping the colour contrast, and putting a lot more colour variation into it. Rock is never one colour, it's dozens of different shades all jumbled together. We don't notice all the time because our brain just takes the general pattern and marks it 'light brown'. But if you actually look closer, you'll be able to count at least six very different colours straight off the bat.

Good luck.
I agree with you, i find it quite boring my self tbh. And yeah i really need to work more on the color, i saw some pics of grand canyon on google, and now definitely see what you mean.

and thanks:)

Quote from: microwar on July 11, 2011, 05:07:59 PM
here is som images to studdy.
Thanks!

Henry Blewer

I am glad someone besides me like my clouds. :) I keep them simple so they don't have long render times. I try to get them to help propagate the light; fill in the corners a bit.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Viktim

Quote from: njeneb on July 11, 2011, 06:03:10 PM
I am glad someone besides me like my clouds. :) I keep them simple so they don't have long render times. I try to get them to help propagate the light; fill in the corners a bit.
Yep its really nice, thanks for sharing btw.

Here is a new render, with minor tweaks, mainly color.

Henry Blewer

I would add some larger boulders in spots; into the water and along the shore and its slopes. Not too many. Looks good other than that.

Draigr

Still need to work a bit more on those colours there, and sheer the cliffs a bit. Not quite grand canyon awesome yet. But well on the way there!

AP

The cliff shearing in the photograph is a lot of thermal erosion, something of which terragen can not do. This can be faked in something like geo control to a certain degree. I suppose the fractals could be ran though a height field erode 3 with a lot of disposition set high. Alpine fractal might work as well with high aging where the disposition is high and wide.

Henry Blewer

You can get a look like thermal erosion with two power fractals and a merge shader. Select blend by highest in the merge shader. Make a Surface layer for slope constraints. You want the minimum slope angle to be 50 degrees or more. The power fractals have the same scales, one using a negative displacement, the other a positive value. The scale depends on the scene too much, but should be small. The power fractals get plugged into the first two inputs of the merge shader.

The smoothing effect of the surface layer can tweak the look of the erosion if it appears too rough. The merge shader gets plugged into the surface layers displacement input. This will leave the child input for more shaders if they are needed.

The power fractals need to using the ridge variant of the noise flavor. The y axis should be stretched. I use 1.6 to 1.8. You can use a little bit of noise variation, but keep it near 1; the default.

AP

Got me very curious. Are there any examples here of that effect?

Henry Blewer

I think Ryan did something like the method I described here http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=11963.0

FrankB did this one, which from a discussion gave me my method http://nwda.deviantart.com/art/Rock-wall-22b-153286594

You can't really tell from my Fortress Rock images, the camera is too far away.

Tangled-Universe

Nice work, keep on going! :)

For rocks/boulders you could try this:

Make 2 fake stone shaders of different size and don't connect anything to their input on the left.
Merge the 2 fake stone shaders and set merge mode to "highest" and keep mix level to 0.5 (default).
Connect the merged stones as child layer of a new surface layer at the bottom of your shader-chain.
Disable surface shader colour and enable/set smoothing to 1.

Now you can use the surface shader to control altitude/slope.
Also you can manually shade/texture the stones by connect fractals to the "shader input" port of each fake stone shader.
(be careful with the displacements!)

Looks complicated, but takes 20 sec. to set up.

Cheers,
Martin

Viktim

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 14, 2011, 04:06:45 AM
Nice work, keep on going! :)

For rocks/boulders you could try this:

Make 2 fake stone shaders of different size and don't connect anything to their input on the left.
Merge the 2 fake stone shaders and set merge mode to "highest" and keep mix level to 0.5 (default).
Connect the merged stones as child layer of a new surface layer at the bottom of your shader-chain.
Disable surface shader colour and enable/set smoothing to 1.

Now you can use the surface shader to control altitude/slope.
Also you can manually shade/texture the stones by connect fractals to the "shader input" port of each fake stone shader.
(be careful with the displacements!)

Looks complicated, but takes 20 sec. to set up.

Cheers,
Martin
Cool thanks! i did like you said(i think)but the terrain get another form as well, when applying smoothing effect??

Tangled-Universe

Hmmm...in a way that's possible, but most of the times it works well.

If you go to my profile by clicking on my username you can find my e-mail.
If you'd like you could send your tgd + terrainfile to that e-mail address, so I can have a look.

Cheers,
Martin