64-Bit

Started by rcallicotte, July 16, 2011, 11:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Is 2.3 64 bit?  If so, are there two different versions?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

So...did I get both of these downloads when I got the notification about the upgrade?  I must have missed a step.

rcallicotte

Never mind.  I found the files, but the installation isn't in two separate files.

Oshyan

32 bit and 64 bit are separate installers on Windows. On the Mac it's a single file.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

The installation I need is 64-bit, really...don't see the advantage of 32-bit, but the installations didn't separate the two - just write over the other.  Anyway, thank you.

Matt

Are you on Windows or Mac? On Windows, by default, the 64-bit build installs to a different place than the 32-bit build. Where did it install for you?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

I've just noticed a problem with the 64-bit installer for the Free Edition. The shortcut in the Programs folder points to the old 32-bit version. If this happens to you, you'll need to edit the shortcut or make a new one.

This probably only happens if you didn't uninstall the other version first. And it might only be a problem on some versions of Windows.

Matt

Matt

The way to know whether you're really using the 64-bit version is to look on the splash window, or the About box (from the Help menu on Windows or the Terragen 2 menu on the Mac). It should say "System information (64 bit):"

rcallicotte

Matt and Oshyan - thanks.  The re-installation of the product appears to write over the other installation.  I only have one icon in the Programs menu for whichever version I installed last, after installing both versions.  I'm using 64-bit right now and don't really care about 32-bit, but it would be normal (as I understand it) to have both show in the Programs menu after installing both.

Matt

It doesn't install the whole program over the other version. The only thing that is shared between the two is the shortcut in the Programs folder, not the program itself. We are considering doing something about the shortcut sharing problem. However, file associations will always be for whichever version was installed last.

rcallicotte

Thanks for explaining.  Makes sense.