Genuine Fractals aka perfect-resize7 for animation

Started by TheBadger, July 27, 2011, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello,

I have been reading the posts in this forum on the use of perfect-resize7 (AKA Genuine Fractals), along with other info sources. And am rather confident that I will be able to use the pro version to batch process a terragen folder containing animation frames. Im rather sure Ill be happy with the results. Just thinking of the time Ill save...!!! Anyway, I could only find a thread that discussed enlarging single renders. I wanted to give anyone who has already done this a chance to way in.

Money is a little tight these days and I don't want to spend the extra cash for the pro version, if someone out there knows I wont get what Im expecting.

I am expecting to be able to render small and resize big for animation. Batch process a 1000 frames or so (just a number)

I want to buy by the weekend, so if you have anything to say please post it.

Thanks everyone.
It has been eaten.

JimB

Do you need the Pro version? I thought it was more geared for print (CMYK, borders...), but the lower cost Standard Edition has the functionality that you need?

Click on Perfect Resize 7 - Compare Pro and Standard Editions.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/store/
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

TheBadger

Do you need the Pro version?

Sorry, I thought the pro version was stand alone, I see my mistake now. Anyway, Im going to try it for animation, I cant think of any reason why it wont save hundreds of hours rendering in the future. But Im new to all of this, so if anyone knows better than I do, please say so.

Thanks
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on July 28, 2011, 02:39:24 PM
Do you need the Pro version?
Sorry, I thought the pro version was stand alone, I see my mistake now. Anyway, Im going to try it for animation, I cant think of any reason why it wont save hundreds of hours rendering in the future. But Im new to all of this, so if anyone knows better than I do, please say so.
Thanks

TheBadger , i would try the demo first with a short animation.
I am mostly not quite optimistic with such programs.
I tried the demo and it was good at attaining the edges in the picture i tried.
But if it does calculate the edges and so different in every render you made for the animation, the resulting video could have serious kind of flicker.
I have not heard that anybody uses this in a serious manner.
So you really should try before you buy it.

dandelO

I wonder how well the rescaling of images holds up in this Perfect Resize. I remember some talk of an up-scaling app' in here before that resampled images to be enlarged but it wasn't this one and I never did try the one that was spoken about, can't even remember the name of it now.

TheBadger

dandelO,

see here=>http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8736.msg94286#msg94286

Kadri,

your right, I will try before I buy. Ill post the result on vimeo and link in this thread, then we will all know. Ill try it tonight.

Also, it seems that real detail has to be there in the first place. So I'm thinking low pixel size with high detail, in order to get large pixel size with same detail?
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Ah, right. Probably the same program then. I think there was a thread about it on its own though that I was thinking of.

jaf

It's easy to confuse resizing with increasing detail.  If you think of a simple black line on a white background, that's quite easy to re-size without a loss of detail.  But you aren't going to gain detail either.  Often, the image looks better at the small size.

Re-sizing a gradient works pretty good too.  But a pattern is a different story.  Look at the image I made.  The top, #1, is a simple linear gradient zoomed from it's 100x5 to a 500x25  The second, #2, it the same 100x5 re-sized with Perfect Resize 7 (great results, though I do wonder why it re-sized the width to 504 instead of the 500 I set in the program.)

The third image is a 100x5 pattern zoomed to 500x25 and the fourth is re-sized to 500x25.

It would take a lot of testing to really determine how well it would work with a TG2 project.  I would guess soft edges would look better but harder edges, like a terrain/sky wouldn't.

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

dandelO

That actually looks great, Jaf. The last image doesn't appear to be pixelated or aliased at all in comparison with the zoomed version.

jaf

Yes, I need to make some TG2 image tests.

Here's a small TG2 image (200 x 157) rescaled in Photoshop at 2x (bp8_f.jpg) and the same image rescale 2x in Perfect Resizer 7 (bp8_f_rs.jpg.)

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

Quoteimage rescale 2x in Perfect Resizer 7 (bp8_f_rs.jpg.)

Jaf,
Looks much better than photoshop. So this is another conformation that resizing is a good option for a single terragen render.

The question remains if batch processing will lead to a serious flicker from image shifting or what have you, as mentioned above. I am setting up a simple animation now and hope it will be ready early friday to test. Im also going to use adobe light room, I have read that even though it was not intended for this use, some have found better results than from perfect resize7 (less or no artifacts they say) and it is said to process faster.

will post here, via vimeo. Hope to compare with your results.

Thanks Jaf, and everyone.

P.S. It seems animation should be on the minds of all software makers making products for resizing... Wouldn't this kind of thing be in great demand by everyone who animates? 
It has been eaten.

Kadri

http://www.infognition.com/VideoEnhancer/

I did not tried it and if you look here there are more:

http://www.infognition.com/articles/video_resize_shootout.html

Filters-programs like these could be maybe better for you , because these are directly for video.

dandelO

That's the one I was thinking of before, Kadri. ^^

TheBadger

Kadri,

thanks for the info, I think VideoEnhancer may be of some use to me in the future. However, It is quite clear after looking at the samples on VideoEnhancers website, that both Perfect resize and lightroom give much higher quality results.
But the question remains, will batch processing with photo tools work as well for animation. If not than VideoEnhancer may be a solution.
It has been eaten.