Image mapped stones (Tetons WIP)

Started by bigben, April 07, 2007, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Perhaps a little subtle from this distance ;) ... but if you look down in the valleys you'll see a grey smudge consisting of 3 fakestone layers mapped via a World Machine flow map. Note the alluvial fans near the lake at the top of the image.

Bottom - smallest rocks, widest distribution
Middle - larger rocks, narrower distribution
Top - largest rocks, low density, narrowest distribution

Further changes to the mapping will include slope restrictions and a fractal breakup to randomise the density a little further. The fake stone shaders are then combined with the masks for plant population density shaders to ensure that trees and grass are not placed on top of the rocks.

I've finally done a rough story board for my animation to give me a clearer focus on just what I need to add to this TGD. I have another render going with an imporved base rock surface (this render has just the fractal detail applied to the terrain) after which I'll move in a bit closer to the valley floor for another check.

As a static shot, this angle loses some of the sense of scale as the peak is lost in the ridge line and there is nothing to indicate how close the camera is to the peak... but in an animation there will be the previous frames to provide the reference.

rcallicotte

This is amazing and find it not only realistic but well on its way to whatever cool thing you're doing next.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

The terrain needed a bit of tweaking to be a bit more realistic up close. I added a modified version of Rich's rocks (http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=770.0), reducing the fake stones sticking out of the terrain. This looks much better at this distance as well.

To provide better control over the flow map for the stone density masks I included a second colour adjust shader after the image map. The raw flow map from WM needed a substantial amount of adjustment for use as a density shader. The first colour adjust provides an initial white level adjustment allowing for much finer control with subsequent black and white levels and gamma.  The great thing about doing this in TG rather than Photoshop prior to importing is that the adjustments are applied to the TG-antialiased image.

Intial white point = 0.0375

Subsequent large stones mask adjustment
White point = 0.09375
Black point = 0.00625
Gamma = 2

Applying the same extreme adjustments in Photoshop would result in a very pixellated image.

Harvey Birdman

I've never summited Grand Teton but my climbing partner has. I'll have to get him to dig out his summit shots so we can compare to your images.

:)

rcallicotte

BigBen, this reminds me of an artist's pictures...the sort where there is type of use of a grain to a beautiful advantage.  Let me see if I can find her...

Here - http://www.bevdoolittle.net

[edit] - Let me clarify that I'm not saying what you are doing looks grainy, but it resembles Bev's characteristic details at such a level that the two drawings (yours and hers) are very close.  I love this effect and this should by no means be translated that I think your pictures are grainy.  It's just your level of finite detail and overall projection of such a large area that the minute fractals are coming together to resemble her pictures.  I believe. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 09, 2007, 10:29:56 AM
I've never summited Grand Teton but my climbing partner has. I'll have to get him to dig out his summit shots so we can compare to your images.

:)

I'm playing with some clouds at the moment, but I'll eventually be doing some renders from the peak at human height (or my height anyway ;)). This render is a long way off the ground, and I haven't checked the altitude limits for trees here yet.