Another Tetons test panorama

Started by bigben, April 10, 2007, 10:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Hi All

I came back from holidays to find out that I'd not only turned off my monitors and lights, and locked the doors... but I also turned off the taps. ;)

[attachthumb=#1]

I'm re-rendering the lake tiles and will update the image when it's done.

This is my last render from this test project as the updated (second) restart of this project is already addressing many of the issues identified in these high-res test renders.  The tree populations only extend 20km and I didn't have a shader to mimic the tree colour beyond that, so you can tell where they end quite clearly. There are also a few GI problems but that was to be expected.

Apart from the obvious errors and lack of surfacing in some areas, there are parts of this that work very well.  I'm not sure why the tree populations weren't restricted below the snow line and I'll have to check whether this is related to the camera altitude moving above the tree line.

dhavalmistry

just amazing man....this is better than the first one....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

Wow, Ben.  I'm really impressed.  Great work!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Wow.  I love the mountains, snow, the way you've placed the trees, the lighting is realistic.  What is the pattern on the right side in the distance?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Quote from: calico on April 11, 2007, 09:19:28 AM
Wow.  I love the mountains, snow, the way you've placed the trees, the lighting is realistic.  What is the pattern on the right side in the distance?

I originallly thought it was due to differing GI between frames (the image is rendered as 614 tiles... 6 days rendering), but it also looks like there are variations in the tree ditribution between these frames (there shouldn't be). I'll look at it more closely tomorrow to see if this may be a masking issue.

The snow is Luco's, the lighting is TG's default ;) 

Oshyan

It seems like the specular on the tree leaves is rather pronounced when looking into the sun. I'm not even sure of the value of using specular/reflection from this distance, and you'd cut down on render time a lot by turning it off.

Other than that this looks great.

- Oshyan

bigben

The overly bright reflections are more a problem with the model being too simple. The leaves of the blue spruce are too large to make up for their low numbers and these act as large reflectors.  I've done some experiments with adding a small amount of reflection to some surfaces and used carefully it can increase the realism when looking towards the sun (IMO)

That said, I'll be splitting up my populations in future into 3 groups based on camera distance so I'll take this into consideration as well.  Reducing the render quality on distant objects will reduce the number of triangle the populator has to insert. All of the populations in this render are set at maximum quality.

This panorama rendered a little faster than the first because there is no grass (which added 15 minutes per frame)

bigben

Here's the updated version with the water.  The links to the QTVR and full res version above have been updated to this version.

RealUser

Though this looks really phantastic, the trees are way too huge imho. Compared to the mountain they are most gigantic redwood trees. ;-)
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

bigben

Yes, I'll definitely be using Oshyan's tip of a reference sphere for sizing objects next time  ;)  My grass was as big as the trees when I first imported it.