How do spherical maps work in TG2?

Started by Andrew March, September 26, 2011, 05:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew March

Okay, this is bugging me. I use many applications for my art and nearly all of them use them same method for applyiong spherical maps, however TG2 does something completely odd and I simply cannot get my head around it.

As an example, if I create a planet and add an image map as a spherical map in Lightwave it simply maps the image onto the sphere, if I do the same in TG2 I get weird banding or the map does not fit correctly, can anyone help with explaining how image maps work in TG2.

TIA

Andrew

Tangled-Universe

The most common mistake is that people do not set the planet's centre coordinates as coordinates of the image-map shader.

Furthermore images in a 2:1 ratio map best, if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,
Martin

Andrew March

So I have to copy the planet centre co-ords and paste them as the position co-ords for the image?

Andrew March

I have a similar question regarding background images, I have a starfield image with a 2:1 ratio, what is the best way of mapping it to the background and do lights in scenes effect the background?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Andrew March on September 26, 2011, 07:09:52 AM
So I have to copy the planet centre co-ords and paste them as the position co-ords for the image?

Yes and make sure you enable centre coordinates in the imagemap shader.

Quote from: Andrew March on September 26, 2011, 07:19:15 AM
I have a similar question regarding background images, I have a starfield image with a 2:1 ratio, what is the best way of mapping it to the background and do lights in scenes effect the background?

I don't know quickly straight from the top of my head, but I'm 100% sure this has been discussed >10 times on these forums. A search for starfield/stars/background etc. will definitely help you out.

Andrew March

Thanks mate, you have been supremely helpful.

bvz

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 26, 2011, 06:55:35 AM
The most common mistake is that people do not set the planet's centre coordinates as coordinates of the image-map shader.

Furthermore images in a 2:1 ratio map best, if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,
Martin

New Terragen user here.  This was a sticking point for me (not being able to spherically map an image).  You saved my sanity.  Thank you so much.