Plovers

Started by Dune, October 13, 2011, 03:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

As an extra to the coastal railway, I wanted to have some plovers, so I made them. Put them in a test render, which I will probably work out a little better than this. Lots to improve!

Henry Blewer

Umm, what is a plover?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

nice...Curlews would be good too....

Kadri

This one has great potential , Ulco  :)

Dune

Curlews, yes. Well... mmm.... how about avocet? Those are really awesome. But I first have to make a plover foraging, or it'll be a little dull on the mudflats.

Anyway, update.

inkydigit

looking really good.....hmmm what about an oyster catcher...for some colour?

Zairyn Arsyn

looking quite photoreal ulco, impressive!
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Dune

Yes, maybe. Not so hard on the plumage as well.

Walli

nice one! Probably a bit more light, but apart from that I like it!

choronr

I have seen this type of bird out here in the Phoenix area. But they seem to be restricted only to certain areas. They have an odd way of walking.

Great picture Dune!

Oshyan

I love plovers, adorable little creatures. The 2nd version is better with the increased light (and changed angle?). Nice work on the modeling and texturing. Looking forward to seeing these used more.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Oshyan on October 13, 2011, 06:05:44 PM
I love plovers, adorable little creatures.

You wouldn't like ones we get around here :-). What an awful noise they make! Spur Winged Plovers. Actually it turns out they're not plovers but lapwings, and that they're also not related to the northern hemisphere Spur Winged Plovers, which are also lapwings.

Nice plovers though Dune!

Regards,

Jo

Dune

These plovers are related to lapwings as well, they walk the same way. Eye hunters. See something edible, run towards it, snatch it, have a another look, etc. Quite big eyes, therefore. On our islands, and even from my window, I can sometimes see thousands of them.

jo

The plovers we have mostly live on the pasture land, usually in pairs. We've spent a fair chunk of the last 5 or 6 years living in small towns surrounded by farmland and I regret to say I have not become a fan of the plovers. They have a terrible call. I also come across them when I'm fishing on some lowland rivers and they fly round and round your head berating you, drives me mad :-). When that does happen I do take a closer look out for eggs or chicks, so I guess it works!

Regards,

Jo