Dark Cave

Started by dandelO, October 19, 2011, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Really basic with not a lot going on but I liked the sense of visibility degradation present in the image, maybe I'll build on it later.

I tried to keep it as HQ as possible but there are still some colour-band issues that were not visible in the original TG output image.

Cheers! :)

dandelO

And here's another without the DOF.

Zairyn Arsyn

spooky creepy!
this is a good start.

be careful near the water, we dont know what lurks underneath there... ;)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Hey dandelO,
This will sound a little like I have been drinking since I cant remember the names of the things I will try to post about... But I remember from some films about caving that some caves have a type of rock that glow. Perhaps there are more than one kind of rock that does this? I saw a movie called the decent, a monster movie that takes place in a giant cave system, they used the idea of the rocks (Im trying to remember the name of) as a lighting source.
Not to long ago you helped me in a thread by telling me I could use terrain as a light source. Perhaps you can find the name and a photo of these glowing rocks and use them to create an other-wordly cave, or just light it in an interesting way.
Just an idea.
It has been eaten.

inkydigit

Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict?
great start...a tad dark, but it is a cave!!

TheBadger

I would not listen to pink floyd in this cave. It would attract the monsters, and its a well known fact that cave monsters don't like pink floyd.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Looks nice , Martin ! My first thought was where is Gollum :)

dandelO

Thanks. :)

Badger/Kadri, I actually downloaded this thing yesterday... http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-zombie-man-3d-model/496896 with an idea to pop him in the cave creating his own glow like some maligned radioactive entity.
My first idea was to just have glowing eyes way down deep inside but I couldn't find any suitably scary models to use. I will probably carry on with it, it is an extremely quick render, considering there are 2 alpine fractals, soft shadows and a weak GI at quality 2/12 with no reduction in the ray detail multiplier. About 30 or 40 minutes on my little computer.

Kadri

Why not using a Plane kind approach , Martin?
You don't need a real 3D object if you do not want to animate it  .
Or more easily put it in post on it.

But then you do not like the easy way mostly i know :)

Pentagular Dark

C... Cave? One that looks good?  ;D ;D ;D I'm happy with this pic!
GAH!!! Don't look down here! Look at the posts man!

Dune

With a glaring sun into my studio, I was 'thrilled' by your totally black rectangles, Martin. What a great render, I thought. Until the sun went down and I was able to look into your cave.
Quoterock that glow
is an interesting idea indeed and not too hard. Some nice lighting veins, leading the way to the gold...

dandelO

Quote from: Dune on October 21, 2011, 02:54:19 AM
With a glaring sun into my studio, I was 'thrilled' by your totally black rectangles, Martin.

:D

N810

I had to download it and hit the autocontrast button in photoshop to tell if it wasn't just a black rectangle.  :P
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Zairyn Arsyn

this render also reminds of movie called The Cave

There was a Book Called "The Descent" by Jeff Long, it was unrelated to the movie of the same name, though it was similar to the movie.

too bad there isn't a easy way of getting stalagmites without models... 
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

dandelO

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had to use a universal monitor calibration system? !!! Kadri, I know you're with me on that question! :D

I never really have trouble viewing light/dark contrast.
On my screen, the only nearly black area is the very back portion of the water, even the empty cavern area is tinted blue with atmosphere. However, I'm rendering it double resolution, with a light twice as strong for everyone living in the dark ages.