Around the world!

Started by jbest, October 28, 2011, 03:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbest

It's certainly possible, I could go to the Netherlands. It's not in the current itinerary, but we shall see. (The current itinerary isn't very much planned anyway.) Belgium is similar to the US, only English is, like, the fourth language here. (I saw that at the Brussels train station.)

We'll see what happens here. People around here speak French and Dutch, mostly.

Later,
Jbest
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

jbest

Hello people. It's been over a month since I have been in Belgium, and I will be here for a week more. Then I will be going to more European countries like Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, and more. After the Europe trip I might be heading to the Middle East. Exciting stuff.

Until then,
Jbest
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

rcallicotte

Are you enjoying Belgium?  How's it going?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jbest

Well, it's kind of hard to enjoy Belgium with this freezing Europe weather. At least there's snow on the ground and you aren't left with nothing good from the cold.  ;) But it's a nice place. This is probably not the time, however, to start going around Europe, but anyway, what to do.

rcallicotte

Snow makes things beautiful there, I'm certain (for the most part, if you stay indoors mostly) and then it reminds of the Bourne trilogy.   ;D

Tangled-Universe

You haven't been to The Netherlands? ;)

rcallicotte

Me or jbest?  I haven't, but have friends who have.  It all looks so beautiful.

jbest

Quote from: calico on February 06, 2012, 09:18:12 AM
Snow makes things beautiful there, I'm certain (for the most part, if you stay indoors mostly) and then it reminds of the Bourne trilogy.   ;D

Yeah it sure does. The snow looks really very beautiful.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 06, 2012, 11:04:40 AM
You haven't been to The Netherlands? ;)

No, one of my friends was supposed to bring me somewhere in the Netherlands in January but didn't. That was a little disappointing, but what can be done. I wanted to go to Amsterdam in October for the Blender conference as well but obviously that isn't going to happen right now.

rcallicotte

Sounds almost lonely out there.  Have fun and watch your six.   :D

jbest

Thanks calico.

After 12 hours of travel (delays, etc.) - me and my grandmother traveled by train - we reached Munich, Germany safely. Staying here for three days.

rcallicotte

Cool!  I've always heard how beautiful it all is around there, too.  Hope the good weather is in your corner.

Quote from: jbest on February 12, 2012, 04:51:20 AM
Thanks calico.

After 12 hours of travel (delays, etc.) - me and my grandmother traveled by train - we reached Munich, Germany safely. Staying here for three days.

jbest

Good weather! Haha, well if you think snow is good weather (and lots of snow), then I sure have. :)

Yesterday I took a train from Munich to Brno, Czech Republic. I'm not too fond of the Czech language, mostly because of how ridiculously foreign it sounds compared to English (I wasn't too fond of the German language either, in terms of how it sounds - sorry to all Germans  :-[). It's snowing even more here than Germany - in some places, snow goes up to my thighs.

See you later people.
--Jbest

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, well if you have been to Munich so then you haven't heared German language but Beiern/Bayern dialect which is completely different from the 'real' German language. Germans themselves tend to have difficulties understanding those ones from the south of Germany, so imagine.

However, many areas in Germany have a dialect so there are very few places where the 'real' school-type German language is spoken (according to my German colleague, but maybe Frank can verify this too).

Bluestorm

A world trip, what a great adventure. Could use something like that myself one day :)

How did you like Munich? I live (and study) in Munich, so I'm curious :D

@ TU

Well, I guess someone whose mother tongue isn't German won't understand a single uttering in Bavarian dialect. However, Germans usually do understand Bavarian people as long as they don't encounter a "native Bavarian" instead of a "normal" one  ;D. But I guess this is the same for many languages and dialects. And while there is a lot of dialect spoken in Munich, it's not hard at all to find people without any sort of dialect. Munich is full of citizens who moved to the city from completely other parts of the country.

jbest

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 16, 2012, 08:38:37 AM
Ghehe, well if you have been to Munich so then you haven't heared German language but Beiern/Bayern dialect which is completely different from the 'real' German language. Germans themselves tend to have difficulties understanding those ones from the south of Germany, so imagine.

However, many areas in Germany have a dialect so there are very few places where the 'real' school-type German language is spoken (according to my German colleague, but maybe Frank can verify this too).

Ah, I see. Well. I couldn't tell the difference when I passed through Frankfurt and stopped in Munich (the announcements) - either my ignorance of the language or they speak the same dialect in those places.

Quote from: Bluestorm on February 16, 2012, 09:23:29 AM
A world trip, what a great adventure. Could use something like that myself one day :)

How did you like Munich? I live (and study) in Munich, so I'm curious :D

Thanks man. It's a real adventure.

Well, to be honest, I didn't actually get to see too much of Munich.  ??? No one wanted to go anywhere in the snow and cold (including myself). So I would like to go back one day and actually see the city.