More Texture mapping stuff

Started by TheBadger, October 30, 2011, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on November 14, 2011, 07:26:48 PM
But I also have a question. When applying a bump with a redirect shader (x,y,z) I got total coverage. But in the set up you shared, to get the color and detail from the image map, masks are needed. Why does the one not require masks and the other does?

Also, Im not sure yet even how to make a mask, I have not got that far yet, I have been experimenting with the other stuff first. But my project is really shaping up!

My background is 2D and 3D. Terragen2 covers these of course. But then there is the aspect with nodes and math etc.
This is the part where i am not good. I use them so much i can. But it is mostly trial and error.  Mostly the latter  :)

So i use masks because i am more familiar with them.
I think what you make with the redirect shader (i nearly don't used it much) is that you assign it to the say Z it will use the image only in that axis in all the TG2 world.
With masks you are restricting only negatively or positively where the image-texture should be placed.

Terragen 2 does have so much possibilities as i said above that you could make all the same thing with quite another approach.
For example to use the texture for the ground and for the top of the Wall you could have used only the "Surface layer" with "Altitude constraints" setting too.
Because the example i put here is very basic and on a flat terrain you could make this without using the mask approach.

Not sure if this is an answer to you TheBadger :)

TheBadger

QuoteI think what you make with the redirect shader (i nearly don't used it much) is that you assign it to the say Z it will use the image only in that axis in all the TG2 world.
With masks you are restricting only negatively or positively where the image-texture should be placed
This helps me greatly Kadri, thanks.

Can you also tell me if the red nodes are interchangeable between the terrain tab and the shaders tab? That is, all red nodes are part of the same node set despite being separated by category-Terrain/shaders?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Can you also tell me if the red nodes are interchangeable between the terrain tab and the shaders tab? That is, all red nodes are part of the same node set despite being separated by category-Terrain/shaders?

This is the part where the other guys should chime in TheBadger probably  :)
I for one do try these kind of things (i don't read the manuals at first).
And you can plug most nodes everywhere.
Kind of a help but not so restrictive as it looks at first maybe if you ask me.
So i do not much bother about this. Not sure if you mean this , TheBadger .

And i hate nodes !
I think that all the programmers in the world made a secret meeting (Matt i heard you were there too ;)), where they made a agreement that using partly made objects like lego parts are easier to program for them , then to make good and detailed interfaces  ;D

TheBadger

@anyone

According to Terragen 2 Node Reference "The Redirect Shader allows you to "redirect" the effect of the input shader along a specific axis."

When using the redirect shader I can direct 3 bump maps for displacement perfectly. However, when trying the same thing for color, it does not work. Color does not seam to pass through the redirect shader. What can I do about this, if anything?

@kadri
Thanks man. as for me I haven't decided if I like nodes or not yet.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Quote from: TheBadger on November 15, 2011, 02:03:12 AM
@anyone

According to Terragen 2 Node Reference "The Redirect Shader allows you to "redirect" the effect of the input shader along a specific axis."

When using the redirect shader I can direct 3 bump maps for displacement perfectly. However, when trying the same thing for color, it does not work. Color does not seam to pass through the redirect shader. What can I do about this, if anything?

Still could use an answer for this.^^

Also, can someone please point me to a how to make and use masks in TG2 thread? I searched but no luck. I think this subject is the last step for me in a comprehensive understanding of image maps in TG2.

Thank you

P.S. Where did Kadri go? Haven't heard from him in the forum for a while.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

You basically already gave the answer yourself ;)
The redirect shader process displacement as input, so vector values, but not colour values.
Generally, if you want to displace colour you'll need a warp-shader since this warps texture space.

If you create a warp shader + redirect shader and connect the redirect shader as the "warper" for the warp shader and connect your colour image/function to the "shader" input of the warp shader you can warp the your colour image/function by feeding powerfractals with displacement into the redirect shader.

Cheers,
Martin

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on December 06, 2011, 04:33:27 AM
P.S. Where did Kadri go? Haven't heard from him in the forum for a while.

TheBadger  i read hastily in the forums and then go to fighting in Skyrim.
Will probably return some times in the future  ;D

bobbystahr

@ TheBadger...so what part of using image maps as a mask don't you get? I regularly use them for masks for a variety of functions including dispersal of objects, to keep grass from poking thru fake stones stuff like that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 06, 2011, 12:10:51 PM
@ TheBadger...so what part of using image maps as a mask don't you get? I regularly use them for masks for a variety of functions including dispersal of objects, to keep grass from poking thru fake stones stuff like that.

Hello bobbystahr,
Thanks for helping.
I know what a mask is and how people use them. I guess what I need to know is how are they made in TG, and how are they applied. I can make a mask in photoshop for use in photoshop. But I don't know how in TG. Just haven't done it yet.

Given any hypothetical project you like (as simple as possible) what are the steps? For me, I think I am interested in learning how to use them as a distribution method first.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 06, 2011, 06:19:47 AM
You basically already gave the answer yourself ;)
The redirect shader process displacement as input, so vector values, but not colour values.
Generally, if you want to displace colour you'll need a warp-shader since this warps texture space.

If you create a warp shader + redirect shader and connect the redirect shader as the "warper" for the warp shader and connect your colour image/function to the "shader" input of the warp shader you can warp the your colour image/function by feeding powerfractals with displacement into the redirect shader.

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks again Martin! I will try this.
I think you are officially a Guru now.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on December 07, 2011, 06:01:58 PM
Given any hypothetical project you like (as simple as possible) what are the steps? For me, I think I am interested in learning how to use them as a distribution method first.

I'll put a small tute on my method together tomorrow A M...off to a guitar gig atm...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 07, 2011, 09:54:04 PM
Quote from: TheBadger on December 07, 2011, 06:01:58 PM

I'll put a small tute on my method together tomorrow A M...off to a guitar gig atm...

Okie Dokie...here you go..Just extract to your projects directory, fire up TG2 and open MAPTUTE023.tgd and have a look around.
If anything isn't obvious please ask....have fun. The objects are all free from here in File Sharing btw
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Hi bobbystahr,

Thanks for posting the files. Sadly I wont have time to devote until monday night. But I'll get on it and let you know what, if any, questions I have. Thanks again for your help. These little things in TG are very important I think.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Thanks bobbystahr.
Helped me a lot. Have another question in this same vain of masking but I want to use a TG image to illustrate my question. And I need to wait until a render finishes first.

It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on December 29, 2011, 03:36:55 AM
Thanks bobbystahr.
Helped me a lot. Have another question in this same vain of masking but I want to use a TG image to illustrate my question. And I need to wait until a render finishes first.

LOL...happens to me often, heh heh heh, waiting on a render...I'll be here......
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New