Having a go with shadows....

Started by mr-miley, April 16, 2007, 05:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-miley

Hi all

There is a photo on the wall in our favourite cafe that gave me the idea for this. I'm sure the composition could do with some work, though this is pretty much how the photo looked.... so blame the photographer  ;D . I was more interested in getting good shadows of the tree on the ground, and I think it came out reasonably well??? I may well do some more work on this, though I dont think I'l render it on the settings I used for this one. I bumped the GI up etc and the render too 225 hours on my 2 x 1ghz PIII spare PC in the office (thank god for having a spare PC ;D ) Ho hum. Tiny bit of post work, adjusting the tone curve slightly and knocking back some of the highlights on the taller grass, they seem to have caught more light that I had hoped.

Anyways, hope you like
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

duff

Did you forget to attach the render or is it my broswer?

mr-miley

Damn, you spotted my deliberate error  ;D

duff

I like it but either my work monitor is not too good or it could benifit from some stronger contrast to make the shadows on the grass stand out more.

Where did you get the models from for the daffodills and the main tree?

mr-miley

I know what you mean about the contrast.... I run 2 monitors, 1 TFT and the other CRT, looks fine on the TFT and slightly darker on the CRT AND if I open the image in Corel PhotoPaint it looks lighter again  ??? I may reupload it slightly brighter.

I think the tree is one of mine, may be an xfrog one with the leaves removed. If I can track down which one it is I'll uploade it to the shared files bit. The yellow flowers are supposed to be dandylions, though they do look more like dafodils  ;D The came from plant studio I think. I'll upload this too if I can find it.

mr-miley

For those with darker monitors, try this one. It doesn't look as good, but gives a better Idea of the tree shadows  ;D

mr-miley

For anyone who is interested I have uploaded the models to a part of my site. See http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1350.0

duff

Thanks for the models.

I think the grass looks great now with the shadows on it, but... unfortunately the sky is a bit washed out.
Can u merge the two?