Plant life request

Started by TheBadger, November 11, 2011, 01:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello,

Does Xfrogs have a creeping vine in any of their pacs? I looked through their web site several times and did not find. So Im thinking they don't, but I usually surf late at night and could have missed it. Are plant models something that people who make them take requests on?

Im looking for Creeping Vines similar to the ones shown in this post. I would like to find some that include dormant or dead (no leaves, and brown). But also lush.

There are many on turbosquid, but they were made in 3dmax, and I would need them to have been made with TG2 in mind.
Im not looking for something for free(although free is always nice), high quality is what maters most. Perhaps FrankB can make something like this? If so he would have a least one guaranteed customer ;)

Any ideas?
It has been eaten.

Kevin F

Dune

It is free, and works on objects. Import an object, point out a starter and let it grow until you're satisfied. Export final ivy as another object and add them together at the same location in TG. Or perhaps merge them in poseray.

Tangled-Universe

I did that once some time ago, see here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7718.0

Was quite tedious, since TG didn't have wire-frame support nor a decent exporter for gap-free mesh output.

What I did was creating a small sphere where I wanted the ivy to start growing.
Exported the terrain which contained that sphere and imported it into ivy-generator.
Grew an ivy on it, exported it. Most of the times the model was mirrored so I ran the whole caboodle through poseray.
Imported it in TG2 and entered the coordinates of the sphere as the coordinates for the ivy.
Ivy Generator sets the origin of the model in the exact middle, regardless where the ivy started growing.
So it was always off coordinate...so with only a boundary box as a guide I had to hand-move it and test-render it for many many times...
Count the ivy's in that image ;)

It should be a lot easier now to do this!

TheBadger

Quote from: Kevin F on November 11, 2011, 02:57:45 AM
try :
http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

it gives really good results and I think it's free.

Outstanding! And it works on a mac. Thank you much Kevin

Quote from: Dune on November 11, 2011, 03:07:20 AM
It is free, and works on objects. Import an object, point out a starter and let it grow until you're satisfied. Export final ivy as another object and add them together at the same location in TG. Or perhaps merge them in poseray.

Thanks Dune. Im not sure what that means yet, but Im very happy that it sounds simple. Thanks for the start!

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 11, 2011, 03:39:32 AM
I did that once some time ago, see here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7718.0

Was quite tedious, since TG didn't have wire-frame support nor a decent exporter for gap-free mesh output.

What I did was creating a small sphere where I wanted the ivy to start growing.
Exported the terrain which contained that sphere and imported it into ivy-generator.
Grew an ivy on it, exported it. Most of the times the model was mirrored so I ran the whole caboodle through poseray.
Imported it in TG2 and entered the coordinates of the sphere as the coordinates for the ivy.
Ivy Generator sets the origin of the model in the exact middle, regardless where the ivy started growing.
So it was always off coordinate...so with only a boundary box as a guide I had to hand-move it and test-render it for many many times...
Count the ivy's in that image ;)

It should be a lot easier now to do this!

Martin, that image you posted approaches true beauty in the Augustinian sense! You made the wild into a garden, this is good. I have seen that pic before while surfing but never had a chance to comment. Also, thank you for the quick tutorial ;D
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

P.S.

Did you guys see the sample renders on that site? Some of them are really outstanding.
It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

make sure you convert any quads in your models to triangles (triangulate) if you haven't used ivy gen yet
ivy gen doesn't display objs correctly or work properly if the polys are not triangles.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/