Crater lake Final Page 2

Started by FrankB, November 17, 2011, 04:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi guys,

a new one from me, albeit a quick one. Actually I wanted to make these clouds in the first place, and then needed a terrain for it not to look too boring.
If you forgive me the only half-finished shore on the right, I hope the rest of the render is pleasant to watch.

Cheers,
Frank

Kevin F

Good start but what about those shear mountain sides on right hand side - too much displacement/cutoff?

Tangled-Universe

Wow, this looks really appealing already! Really love the sky.
Like you said yourself the shore is a bit unfinished and the mountains could use some work too.

Cheers,
Martin

FrankB

Oh yes, the cut-off mountain top in the background...
It's just an alpine fractal anomaly, but here is the story: you notice that the file name is "new 16", so it's the 16th iteration of the image. I saw this cut-off piece early on, an quickly moved to a different POV where it wasn't visible anymore. 10 or so iterations later I forgot about the cut-off part and move the POV near the previous location .... and here are we again :)

Other than that I like the mountains as they are. Just the tree distribution isn't quite right yet.  :-\

Tangled-Universe

Oh yeah those mountains, didn't see it actually...too much drooling on that blistering cold looking atmosphere :)
I think you can easily fix that by positioning a spherical distance shader at that position and to use that for blending in a different alpine fractal seed.

FrankB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 17, 2011, 06:25:44 AM
Oh yeah those mountains, didn't see it actually...too much drooling on that blistering cold looking atmosphere :)
I think you can easily fix that by positioning a spherical distance shader at that position and to use that for blending in a different alpine fractal seed.

Also a good idea, but I fixed it by changing the Alpine itself. I wanted the mountains to be wider, so I increased the feature size and decreased the scale step a bit to add some steepness, and I'm rendering another version soon. No work on the shores yet, though.

inkydigit

wickedly good start on the clouds!

mhaze

Great pic, clouds are amazing.

FrankB

I'll do one more iteration and then I'll hand it over to TU to make the terrain look even prettier :)

... I tend to loose interest once I've got the sky right anyway :D

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, yeah sky/clouds is really your thing! :) looking forward to it :)

FrankB

naaaah, the second iteration wasn't ideal. I need a little more time, but getting there.

FrankB

Here is the second, but not the last iteration:

Seth

the light and colour are really good on the first one !

FrankB

you're all in for a surprise as soon as you see what TU has done to the mountains!!! Just saw a preview and it's awesome!

Kadri

Looks good Frank :)