The Red Room...

Started by dandelO, November 20, 2011, 02:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Some people might remember the bonkers 90's TV show, Twin Peaks, by crackpot director, David Lynch.
Here's a TG2 depiction of The Red Room at The Black Lodge.

The room was made from TG plane objects, power fractals make the curtains.
I edited a model of a female torso that I found by adding a head and arms to it, the couches came from a free models site online, as did the tall lamp, which I also edited with object modifiers in Carrara. I made the table and the Saturn lamp is just a TG sphere/disc sat on top of an imported cone object.

I might have a play with some DAZ3D characters to add the dwarf and maybe a couple of other characters but that all depends on how good they look so, don't hold your breath waiting on that.

Cheers for looking! :)

Dune

Very cool, Martin. Very imaginative!

Kadri

Looks good Martin :) And very different. I like it

Seth

nice light
the floor is a bit too reflective though

dandelO

Cheers, all. :)

I think you're right, Franck. I will probably crop render the floor with a better reflective setting and update the image.

dandelO

* Replaced the original image in the first post with a new one. I Edited the anisotropic reflective shader that was used on the floor to make the reflections softer and the floor less reflective overall. Shader available for download in the file sharing forum.

Thanks for looking, again! :)

TheBadger

Hello Martin,

I have a bit of a strange request for this image. Would you be able to take your SandelO TGO and apply it to the top of your image map flooring, in small amounts (so that the sand appears in patches on the floor but not covering the entire floor). I'm having a problem trying to do what I just described, but also, I think it would make your image look even more surreal.

I was also wondering if there was something you could do with a false shadow (just thinking out loud now) or foot prints that ... something.
I just get a real surrealist vibe from this one and want to see it pushed.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Is the pattern on the floor procedural?

Zairyn Arsyn

aahhhigghh! not the red room!  :) :D

i like the floor pattern.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

dandelO

Hi, cheers, folks.

The Badger, I'm not sure why you'd want me to add sand to the floor, there is some discolouration from white to off-white in some shots of the floor of the Black Lodge scenes in the show, depending on the mind-state of the visitor to the room at a given time, whether it's a comfort/discomfort shot * (I think I may have imagined that, just watched the clips posted below and now I'm not so sure, it does look kind of different in some scenes, though.) * but never does it look like it's covered in sand. Do you mind explaining what you mean with this? I opted for the pure white on black option. If I were to animate it, however, with the trademark strobing lights, I would alternate the floor colouring as per setting. I'm not sure I'd add sand, though. ???

J, I did try some functional patterns on the floor but it turned into a bit of a shitemare when trying to combine both directions of the pattern, making each direction of pattern and scaling it was easy enough but combining them after was more trouble than it was worth at the time, I used a tiled image for ease.
When I had both directional patterns as functions, one series of black/white lines running diagonally left, one set diagonally right, I tried to combine them into one layer by using a Z to scalar sin function mask to describe the regions each pattern should appear, i.e. the white bands of the sin applied one pattern and the inverse of this, where it was black, would apply the alternating pattern but I couldn't get a proper line-up that worked, I was ending up with checkerboards, mismatched patterns etc. Another method was to use only one pattern, reversed by a transform shader and blended much the same way as I said above, not much better.
Any better ideas on how to do that? It was late when I was playing with it and I didn't spend too much time breaking my brains for it but I know it's only a matter of logical thinking, that I couldn't be bothered with for a quick, one-off image like this.

Z, yes, the Red Room! :D

Cheers! :)

Zairyn Arsyn

no! not the midget! that would be too scary  :D ;D ;)
Quote from: dandelO on November 20, 2011, 02:30:17 AM
Some people might remember the bonkers 90's TV show, Twin Peaks, by crackpot director, David Lynch.
Here's a TG2 depiction of The Red Room at The Black Lodge.
I might have a play with some DAZ3D characters to add the dwarf and maybe a couple of other characters but that all depends on how good they look so, don't hold your breath waiting on that.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

QuoteThe Badger, I'm not sure why you'd want me to add sand to the floor

It was more of a, can it be done, question. The rest of what I was saying was more of a, now that you have done this how much more can you push the image, question/statement. Hope Im making more sense now. But I see that you were just figuring out how you could recreate something in TG2 and you did a great job.
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Ah right, now I get you. I'll see what can be done about laying some sand over an image mapped surface and get back to you as soon as I have some time. :)

dandelO

TheBadger;

Laying the sand layer over a flat surface that you want to keep intact can prove quite tricky because at parts of the sand layer where you can still see the underlying shaders, because of the sand coverage falloff, displaces that part of the visible terrain surface as well, bending the area you want to keep flat, it's awkward to fix but not impossible...

I found this problem before when making my 'Top Gear' image, but I managed to successfully lay the sand layers(I used 2 in that particular image because I needed to blend them separately for different areas) over the flat road by using careful blending and sand layer coverage controls so as to not affect the road surface and markings beneath too much. The sand was blended by a power fractal, which was itself inversely blended with simple shape shaders.

If you want, the .tgd for that image is available to download here; http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=11771.0
It might give you some pointers on blending and coverage when using the sand layer. Pay attention to the 'coverage' parameter of the main sand shaders, and how they are integrated with their blending shaders. The .tgd might look intimidating on first glance but it is laid out very logically, I like order and neatness in my .tgd's, so you shouldn't have too much trouble deciphering it. :)

* Word of advice on that .tgd; Replace the original distant alpine fractal terrain with a regular power fractal. The alpine in the .tgd takes far longer to render, even though it's way in the distance. You'll get quicker results that way. *

* Edit; Another couple of variations on this file can also be found here and here. *