Skyriim - on 8800GT

Started by rcallicotte, November 21, 2011, 09:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zairyn Arsyn

not really surprised, with that resolution he is using

i think i may turn down the res. a notch for a fps increase when i get home
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

freelancah

The heaviest thing on that game are the shadows. Apparently they are CPU calculated so if you bump em down you can run things pretty smooth. Also there are several different addons that fix things to work faster

rcallicotte

I don't have it.  I had Morrowind and am thinking about this.  I like STORY, so if this has a good one, I'm in.

reck

Quote from: calico on November 21, 2011, 10:53:13 PM
I like STORY, so if this has a good one, I'm in.

Calico did you ever play Dragon Age: Origins? That has a good story.

freelancah

I don't have it.  I had Morrowind and am thinking about this.  I like STORY, so if this has a good one, I'm in.

The world is insanely large and it's filled with stories, some good some not. I have punched in 24 hours and I have barely scratched the main story. Been doing some fun side quests that I came across :P

freelancah

Oh and I havent played much of morrowind but I did play thru oblivion and I think this one is way better

reck

Quote from: freelancah on November 22, 2011, 06:15:59 AM
The world is insanely large ...

I've not got my hands on Skyrim yet, but I seem to remember reading that they didn't increase the size of the world from previous games, in fact it might be slightly smaller than Oblivion when you take into account the mountains, which was a bit disappointing to hear.

Henry Blewer

It plays a bit 'floaty' on my machine. It's the graphics card. The game automatically suggests High for the game settings. For me, Medium works better.

Time for new graphics card. Matt, please don't yell at me! The new computer is built and awesome! (Matt suggested I stop buying graphics card and spend my money on other hardware ;D)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

freelancah

Quote from: reck on November 22, 2011, 08:08:50 AM
Quote from: freelancah on November 22, 2011, 06:15:59 AM
The world is insanely large ...

I've not got my hands on Skyrim yet, but I seem to remember reading that they didn't increase the size of the world from previous games, in fact it might be slightly smaller than Oblivion when you take into account the mountains, which was a bit disappointing to hear.

The actual size in meters might be the same as oblivion but there is a lot more content. Caves and other things dont have that procedural feel that they had in oblivion and actually feel different. In Oblivion it was like..you left a town and there wasnt much stuff outside but in skyrim I spend most of my time climbing those mountains and finding things hidden there

rcallicotte

I haven't, but I'll look into it.  I've heard something similar about The Witcher series.

Quote from: reck on November 22, 2011, 05:46:11 AM
I like STORY, so if this has a good one, I'm in.

Calico did you ever play Dragon Age: Origins? That has a good story.

Zairyn Arsyn

Skyrim runs perfectly on my machine with everything set to ultra, except for shadows, at medium.
personally i'm content with the size of the skyrim world space, because of all the detail, locations or stuff they packed into the game.

i played Morrowind a bit, i thought it was more challenging than oblivion was, harder, never had a copy, just played it at friends houses.
Quote from: njeneb on November 22, 2011, 08:17:35 AM
It plays a bit 'floaty' on my machine. It's the graphics card. The game automatically suggests High for the game settings. For me, Medium works better.

Time for new graphics card. Matt, please don't yell at me! The new computer is built and awesome! (Matt suggested I stop buying graphics card and spend my money on other hardware ;D)
ah, so you got Skyrim already, good for you. :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

It plays great with Ultra settings in Windowed mode. 8) :)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

rcallicotte

Okay, if you've been playing this, please answer me this - Is this really as herky-jerky and trite as it seems in all of the videos I'm seeing?  No offense at all; I'm thinking about spending the money on this, but that's money I could use for something else.  Seriously, is this game as prolific as the Lord of the Rings series or is this just wishful thinking?

Matt

Quote from: njeneb on November 22, 2011, 08:17:35 AM

Haha. Just as long as you're not buying top end graphics cards and running them with a P4 :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.