Medieval city

Started by Dune, December 04, 2011, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I got a commission to make a medieval city for an enlargement (7.5x2m) in a public garage (EDIT: underground parking lot), so I'm off the street for a while  ;D First of all, I will have to make about 60 or so houses in different styles, most of them quite 'ordinary' medieval, some of them quite special and elaborate. Lot of work (which probably won't pay itself back), but here's the first.
Fortunately they don't have to be that precise, or I should have taken a year to produce them. But these citu generators won't be good enough, as the street plans and houses are a bit specific. So, if anyone has some spare medieval houses, barns, or farms, I'd be much obliged. Perhaps some trade...  

I changed the roofs a little after this render, but you get the idea.

I'll post my progress now and again.

inkydigit

this looks really great Ulco,
if I was in any way proficient in modeling I would gladly help...alas, I can only offer enthusiastic encouragement!
sounds like a cool project...hopefully you will have time enough to share your progress...

proost!
J

TheBadger

Quote from: inkydigit on December 04, 2011, 03:17:44 PM
this looks really great Ulco,
if I was in any way proficient in modeling I would gladly help...alas, I can only offer enthusiastic encouragement!
sounds like a cool project...hopefully you will have time enough to share your progress...

proost!
J

+1
It has been eaten.

otakar

Oh I very much hope you can share your work here on this project. Should be great.

One idea would be to look around the Google 3D Warehouse and contact some of the creators to see whether you could use their models. There's a wealth of content and a lot of it is not high detail, so possibly quite right for this project.

Icegrip

Intresting project! And looking great so far. Btw in what program do you model?

yossam

I don't know if this will help or not...........he has free as well as commercial models.

http://rodluc2001.blogspot.com/

Dune

That link you gave me is fantastic, thanks! I contacted him to ask what he would charge to do a certain building, as my skills are not that good. Here's an example of the first few houses I made. Done in Lightwave. I have to take into account that the scene will have more than a hundred houses (see real model), along with bushes, trees, and whatnot, and I still have to render it really big. So I can't use really highpoly houses, unless at the foreground. It's quite a task I've set myself, and hope to get it done without too many sleepless nights.
I strive for the use of a few generic textures that I can call in Terragen, not use image maps for each building. So TG wouldn't have to load too many image maps. Then make them different from each other by using additional procedural colors. I don't know yet what my i7 16 gig can handle, but I don't want to overdo it.
I looked at google warehouse too, thanks.

reck

Dune I love following your work in progress threads.

Henry Blewer

I already like your buildings better than the models in the diorama.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

otakar

Yeah, Luc is a great source for models and he has textures as well. Should be just a matter of working things out with him. This is going to be quite a challenge in terms of what TG can handle. Will be interesting for sure.

FrankB

Ulco, maybe Dandelo's Mega wood Floor Shader could be useful (as a basis) for some procedural textures?

Dune

Thanks, Frank. Indeed, maybe I will replace some image maps by procedural, as most textures will be in the distance and not every grain will be visible after all. My main concern is that the buildings will not all look the same, so I definitely throw some global dirt across the city. But in fact all buildings are reddish brick, and the fancy whitewashed parts I tried, are not permitted  :(
Working on the maps now (this is an all layer screendump with some questions I had for the historian), and building houses.... it'll take while before it gets interesting. 

Dune

One of the houses, but not finished yet. Kept it fairly lowpoly.

Dune

Is anyone familiar with Lightwave? I've messed up something and don't know what. Changed some items in the building, remapped some things, but now the maps get distorted when I open the lwo or obj in Poseray. Does it have to do with welding/unwelding? Please help (although it's not TG)!!

Henry Blewer

What kind of mapping did you use. UV can cause distortion on planes which do not run along an axis. The roof tilts 'out of plane'. Try just using and x or y axis mapping.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T